Additional Investments beyond 350K Euro

Has anyone invested more than the minimum 350K Euro? The Portuguese real estate market seems poised for a larger gain than the US Equity market.

Depends what you include in the โ€˜gainโ€™, purely appreciation or that plus rental income.
I was recently looking into possible additional investment into a rental property.
Does not seem like the best option comparing to some other markets when calculating the ratio between the purchase price and the monthly rent.

However, I only looked at a particular region of PT, not the whole market or the hottest spots.

Besides with the new government proposals Iโ€™d rather wait for them to become the law and then reassess the situation.
I am particularly concerned about the proposed government โ€˜supportโ€™ for non-paying tenants.

2 Likes

My assessment of Portuguese real estate, at least in the Lisbon area, is that itโ€™s a bad deal

First, tenant protections and low rents make it a bad place to be a landlord. The fact that you canโ€™t easily Airbnb it either kills any real income from use of the property

For the actual cost of the property and that going up or not, first I feel bad making money that way, but also it sounds like the government is working on both making it worse to be a landlord, and making it easier to build. The latter is great, more housing for people and cheaper prices, but obviously punishing landlords sucks

Put your money elsewhere imo. I like vtsax

3 Likes

Round trip transaction costs in Portugal for RE are very high as well. That plus tenant protections sets the bar too high for me, so still at the minimum.

1 Like

I did but Iโ€™m doing private equity. So far looks great.
I liked the RE market there for niche deals but still too many management and local knowledge issues.

1 Like