Portugal Golden Visa: better alternative to residence real estate?

I have bought a house in Portugal 5 years ago. Right on the coast, beautiful ocean views and less than one hour from Lisbon airport. We spend there almost 3 months every year and tend to spend more time in the future, when retired. The price of the house was 315.000eur at the time of the purchase BUT would cost more than 500.000eur today…Only due to the Golden visa applicants and real estate companies raising the price to meet the criteria…

We decided last year to buy a land close to our place with the intention to invest. The idea has finally been shaped to a beautiful eco, agro, lifestyle boutique luxury hotel, 21 suites. With a natural swimming lake, vineyard, facing the ocean. Me and my friend have invested in the land, projects, building permit and concept. And we are thinking that maybe a share in a hotel could be a better option for people who are interested to obtain a golden visa in Portugal. No fees related to maintenance, property management fees. And possibility to stay at the hotel the days you have to be in Portugal to be qualified. With all the service needed. We are going to initially run the hotel ourselves and later use a hotel management company when the revenues will be stabilised.

Do you guys think this is a good option for Golden Visa applicants? And, how could I find a reliable partner overseas or direct potential people interested?

In terms of partners, perhaps this is something @teixeiradasilva could be interested in?

1 Like

Hi Nikos
Thanks for the description and well done on achieving excellent growth already. Generally the approach may well work, very successful and lucrative projects have been run on exactly this basis in the Lisbon and Cascais areas, with individual investments of either €350K or €500K and millions raised in this way. Our business and customer focus is only residential so this sort of opportunity falls outside our area of interest. The other factor to consider at the moment is that it is almost certain that the Golden Visa program, via a real estate investment will be limited in the greater Lisbon area and Porto areas and so the market is likely to want more clarity on this situation. Best of luck

1 Like