ARI Holders (Stage 5)

The rules specifically say “how long you are a legal resident”. As long as you are legally resident (which means an expired card, as long as it’s been legally extended under the decree-laws and you’ve met the conditions) it’ll be fine.

3 Likes

The renewed card will have a starting date when you got the approval. So for me it’s 14-MAY, my old card expired 7th of Feb. this year.

But your 5 year counter starts on the issuance date of your first card. (mine was Dec 2018). So I would be eligible to apply for citizenship Dec 2023. My card will be still valid until 14-May-2024.

So as explained in this thread, you will still have validity when you apply for citizenship, however, as citizenship process requires 1.5-2 years you still need to renew the GV one more time at least.

Regards,
Bisho

7 Likes

Thank you for all the details!!

2 Likes

Hi

you can apply for PR and citizenship . This will may work as PR is 5 years

BR

1 Like

Hi Abhi,

I forgot about applying for Permanent Residence! Do you have any idea how long the PR application takes? I assume it’s much quicker than citizenship?

4 Likes

Congratulations.
I have a question. I thought SEF was not giving renewal appointments. How did you manage to get yours? Was it one of the cases where u had an appointment and it got cancelled coz of covid.
My lawyer still says that appointments are not open for renewals.
Thanks in advance

1 Like

Hi Anand,

I booked my appointment personally in September 2021, right when the portal opened.

Was just lucky

After that opening the portal did not have any new opening.

I hope they will allow renewal biometrics to be done at any Portuguese embassy.

Regards,
Bisho

2 Likes

PR for investment is 7000euros and requires A2 Portuguese.
If you are ready for that it’s the perfect option while you wait for your citizenship approval.

2 Likes

7000 euros!!?!
Wow, didn’t expect that. Are you sure?

Oh wow, yeah you are right I just found it on the SEF website. It’s 7455€.

chrome://external-file/TABELA_TAXAS_2020.pdf

More reason to switch to the D7.
If you apply for permanent residence after living here on a D7 the cost is between 100-300€

1 Like

My attorney also says they can not get appointments. But I would like to access portal myself and try. Do you have any info on that?

How did you have access to portal when only attorney has access to it?

You need the login/password from your attorney.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I don’t think logging in yourself will help much at this stage anyway.

According to this recent article no GV processing has happened since the 1st of January.
It talks a lot about new applications but it also mentions that Golden Visa renewals are in the same boat. In my experience, I think it has been worse for renewals because even when new applications were being processed last year, there were still no renewal appointments being allowed.
It is a long read.

Hopefully some media picking up this story will help in some way. Otherwise it really doesn’t look good.
If I wasn’t in year 4 of the Golden Visa I would consider giving up, which I may have to do in the end anyway.

2 Likes

Surely even at worst you can just wait out the clock and apply for citizenship/PR after the 5 years are up, even if you can’t renew?

4 Likes

That is what I am hoping for! But my concern is that since it is only the GV’s that are not being processed, they could stop extending the decree which states that all visas are considered valid (right now until 30th of June). Since I am already living in Portugal I would be forced to apply for a different type of visa and give up the GV process.

1 Like

Renewed GV card received
biometric appointment was 29/11/2021. More than 6 months!

8 Likes

Lisbon office

3 Likes

Did everyone see the article today in Portugal Resident?

https://www.portugalresident.com/golden-visa-misery-this-is-an-absolute-scandal/

4 Likes