Bank account that isn't discover-able by default to tax authorities?

I’m interested in the Georgia bank as well as Hong Kong banks.

Georgia, Hong Kong, Panama, Singapore seem to be the best destinations for opening offshore bank accounts.

Here is where I bank in the Republic of Georgia: https://www.libertybank.ge/en/pizikuri-pirebistvis

I use their private banking division (go to Liberty Wealth tab at the top), but they also regular personal and business accounts.

I have also heard good things about these banks in Georgia:

Randall

4 Likes

Thanks,

But I’m curious how you could bank there without speaking Georgian language?
Do they have English-speaking agents at their locations?

I have the same question for banking in Hong Kong. How can I open a bank account in Hong Kong without Chinese language skills?

I found many of Panamanian banks have agents who can speak English. It looks much easier to bank in Panama.

I don’t speak a word of Georgian, but I just walked into a random branch of Liberty Bank four years ago and they immediately assigned a couple of English-speaking staff to help me open the account.

Once I opened my account (quite easily, took about an hour), I was assigned my own private banker at their main office, who is fluent in English. We email and talk on the phone just fine. They have English versions of their website, online banking, and phone app.

Language has not been a problem for me. They welcome English-speaking clients, even Americans, and they try hard to serve us well.

Granted, it’s not quite as easy as banking at home, especially with time zone differences. But it’s worth it to me to earn several times more interest than in the US or western Europe, with little or no fees, choice of many currencies, good exchange rates, and instant free worldwide access to my money with the Visa Infinite card. Plus I feel my money is safer than in most banks, especially US banks.

Randall

4 Likes

Thanks for your explanation!
So they’re very much prepared for US clients.

and I heard they don’t require any document besides a passport.
I’m definitely checking out Georgia along with Hong Kong.

Do they mail out the infinite visa card to a US address or any address of your choice?
I’m curious because it’s a lot of hassles once you lose a card like that.
I wonder how you can get a replacement card without visiting a bank branch in Georgia.

Yes, they will mail the Visa card to the US.

You won’t have any trouble with English in Hong Kong. It’s widely spoken there. Hong Kong has excellent banks, and used to be very popular with Americans. But I keep hearing that Hong Kong banks won’t take Americans any more. Good luck.

Randall

3 Likes

Major players such as HSBC will ask you about your TIN in hong Kong due to intention of headquater. If you would like to open account without TIN and with passport, you had better go to china based bank at least.

By the way, untracable cryptocurrency ADK linked IBAN via Lithania-based bank Mister Tango where you could have Master card.

ADK focuses on privacy and security.
How do you think?

1 Like

Hiya @tak

This bank is very nice. Hope it opens for business soon. I can’t wait to get that lovely Bitcoin connected credit/debit card one day soon.

Thnx

Hello Randall,
Why do you believe that your money is safer in a Georgian Bank than a U.S. Bank? Don’t Banks in the U.S. guarantee your savings up to a certain amount? Is that also the case with Banks in Georgia? I don’t imagine that Georgia is one of the most solid countries in the world economically and financially. In any case, if we have another financial meltdown like in 2008, the whole international Banking system is probably going to implode…

2 Likes

Michael,
You are correct that Georgia is a much poorer and less-developed country than the US (though a delightful one to me). In all countries, your money is at risk in any bank, to be sure. Here’s why I’m willing to risk banking in Georgia with some of my money, and it’s not about hiding money or evading taxes:

1. It is legal in the US for many federal bureaucrats to simply instantly confiscate your US bank accounts electronically without any warning and for little or no reason. They have a name for these thefts: “civil forfeiture.” They are doing this more and more, especially to elderly people whom they think are unable or unlikely to fight back. Despicable! I’ve talked to some of their victims. I’ve seen no evidence that the government of Georgia does this. People from many countries bank in Georgia because their government tends to be more honorable and friendly than most. Plus, the Georgians often lack the technology to steal like in the US. Now I am at much less risk of waking up penniless one day.
  2. Should I be the victim of a frivolous or unjust lawsuit in the US (God forbid), it is much harder for creditors to take my money in foreign accounts.
  3. Compare the balance sheets of Georgian banks to US banks (posted on their websites), and you will find that the Georgian banks are usually far better capitalized and with fewer non-performing loans. They are more conservatively operated (without risky derivatives) and much less likely to become insolvent. In other words, the Georgian banks have a lot higher percentage of real money to honor their obligations. Also, the Georgian banking regulators are stricter. No bank failures in Georgia since independence, I believe, and no taxpayer bailouts or depositor “haircuts."
  4. By their own admission, the FDIC only has money to “guarantee” maybe 1% of the money they “insure.” In a major banking crisis, they would be virtually useless. Georgia prefers having strong banks to pretend insurance, and so do I.
  5. Georgian banks often allow you to bank in several different currencies, and switch between currencies efficiently. I travel and invest globally. With my Georgian Visa debit card, I can make purchases or withdraw cash at ATM’s in many countries without the cost and hassle of currency conversion. Plus they pay very competitive interest on several currencies. Hardly any US banks offer multi-currency accounts.
  6. I pay few if any bank fees in Georgia, and receive much higher interest, even on US dollar deposits.
  7. My Georgian bankers know me by name and give me personalized service. They don’t treat me as a annoyance. What about your bankers?

Most of my points above apply to at least some banks in many countries. US banks often lag behind, in my opinion. Get out there and see for yourself!

Randall

6 Likes

@Randallmark thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with the Georgian bank :slight_smile:

Will be having a look at it too.

1 Like

I went to Georgia two months ago and opened a bank account at TBC bank. I got a term deposit account for 2 years at almost 10% and a debit card . I really do feel safer with it

2 Likes

hiya,

10% interest annually? how much is deposits maximum cumulative amount?

Tnx

minimum deposit is either 500 GEL, $500 usd, or $500 EUR. Not sure what the max is. I did 1200 GEL which was about $400. after 2 years will get 233 GEL which is about $86. I got a real bank account that I can transfer money to if I have some. Plan to go back in 2 years when the certificate expires. Might to to Armenia to get a bank account there also. I have been following Nomad Capitalist on youtube and got my idea to get the bank account from Easiest Country to Open an Offshore Bank Account - YouTube. I watch his videos everyday. The armenia video is at Opening a High Interest Bank Account in Armenia - YouTube. The info on tbc bank is Term Deposit - TBC Bank

1 Like

hiya @mcbelisle

thanks for nice advice and links. :slight_smile: Does opening back account finish on one day or you need to stay a few days? Does the bank answer to email?

Can open account in one day but if you want debit card with your name you need to come back few days later to get it. They do answer to email

1 Like

hiya @mcbelisle

thank you :blush: , Do they ask one copy of ID and One copy of proof of address for the opening account or just proof of ID/Passport-copy was enough to open the account? May I ask which branch in which city do you opened your account? Do you suggest it?

Main branch in Tbilisi. Passport and drivers license

1 Like

hiya @mcbelisle

Do you have UK driving licence or any country’s driving licence is accepted?

thanks

Any country drivers license is accepted

1 Like