Best Banks in Lisbon

Hey guys, I’m planning to move to Portugal soon. I want to create a new Portuguese bank account and was wondering which banks are the best?

(Note: A bank should preferably support English on their websites\call centers. It would also be great if they would have mobile applications to handle bank transactions.)

3 Likes

The only Portuguese bank I know is Atlântico. Their mobile services are good and had an english webstie. Here is their website: https://www.atlantico.eu/

1 Like

Activo Bank. wonderful app. and if you move out of the country as i did, you can update your phone number to a foreign one and everything keeps working fine. since…2013. so 7 years for me of all good stuff.

zero costs of any kind.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies guys.

My Portuguese lawyer mentioned Banco Best (https://www.bancobest.pt/). Do you have any feedback on it?

Hi. Are you able to open an account with them remotely from the USA with your lawyer’s help? Thanks

1 Like

Hi Ramin.

In my case, I’m trying to open an account from Lebanon. Unfortunately for me, Lebanon is not on the supported list of countries to open remotely. It’s turning out to be a somewhat complicated process, as the required documents need to be stamped using the “Hague Apostille” convention and physically mailed to Portugal.

I’ll update this thread once I finish this process.

In your case, I’m pretty sure you should have an easier process from the USA.

i need international bank as i am from Egypt and will go Portugal for studing
as i search i found
N26
citibank
wire

which is best in transfer between currancy and fund withdraw payment

@samah_jurdy I am just Noticing this thread and by this time you may have solved your issues but nevertheless for the sake of readers I’d like to point out.

There is no bank that is created equally in Portugal and every bank has their own set of rules and regulations to follow. There are some excellent suggestions in this thread with names but I’d like to point out that more than names, it’s the branch manager that makes a huge difference in banking in Portugal and hence you must speak with a few to get the gut check first.

Don’t just get started on your documentation after the first call. Ask for ALL questions such as DHL timelines, Apositile, embassy appointments, signatures in places, forms to be filled now and in the future so all can be sent at once, originals to be wired and scanned before wiring, declaration letters need to be written for authorisation, giving powers to lawyer and what powers can be given for now and for the future, those documents to be shipped out etc.

In a nutshell, if you want to eliminate these stresses, it’s best to hire a local agency (several available by a google search) to help you coordinate this and eliminate this stress.

Hello,
Has anyone used Santander as their bank in Portugal?

To update this thread for other readers, I ended up going with Banco Best, and I was able to successfully open the account.

@samah_jurdy how did you open your Banco Best account, 100% online or visit its branch?

It was 100% online. But I had to get all my documents notarized at my local Portuguese embassy\Consulate

How are the fees with Banco Best? I know they don’t have a monthly commission on Euro account but how are their fees for wire transfers?