Closure of GBP accounts held in UK by expats

I had hoped that by using Triodos UK as my GBP account provider in the UK, I would not be affected by the withdrawal of my ability to retain a UK account as a resident in the EU - Triodos are after all a Dutch owned bank.
However, Triodos have written to me advising me that they will be closing my account. This presents me with a problem as I have a number of GBP pension payments being paid into that account. I do not want to have the GBP payments directed to my euro denominated account, as I am concerned that my bank will both charge a FX fee and may not give me as good a rate as I currently get - I currently use Wise for my FX transactions.
So I was delighted to find that my Wise GBP account (opened automatically as part of their overall package) has a UK Sort Code and a unique account number, so I asked my main pension provider to accept that as the nominated bank account to which my monthly payment was to be paid. However, my SIPP platform provider (II) have advised me that, as my proposed recipient is not a ā€œlicensedā€ bank, they will not accept my instruction.
I then opened a GBP account with another fintech, but it seems as if II will be unable to make my payment to that account as it has a Lithuanian IBAN and their systems (or policies) will not accommodate such a payment.

Any suggestions on this would be gratefully received.

1 Like

Did you try any of the ā€˜expat accountsā€™ in GBP?
E.g. HSBC seems to offer one:
https://www.expat.hsbc.com/accounts/products/bank-account/?cid=HBEU:AS:P0:XX:05:2107:214:H2AO21&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxIOXBhCrARIsAL1QFCbLPNy4iQy3jivhGojAhMBWA68XRDCO53nks5vvevZehFn71DDuRroaAuD7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, Tommy.
I am trying that advice now - so far, so good, but Iā€™m waiting for confirmation that Iā€™ve passed the validation process. Will provide an update as I get more information.

Could Monese be an option? Although you may run into the same issues as with Wise, as I donā€™t think they are technically a bank.

Finally managed to open an account with HSBC, and my pension provider has now successfully made two payments to it. Required a lot of toing and froing, but done now.
Of course, as soon as the money reaches HSBC I immediately transfer it to my Wise account to use their superior FX rates and lower fees!

1 Like

And you wonder why these banks arenā€™t interested in providing service to you

1 Like

yes indeedā€¦ itā€™s nice that the thread author found a loophole in a mostly monolithic worldwide banking system which wants to keep pensioners (and everyone else) pinioned within the borders of their native countries like slaves on a chain gang. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

This is some unhinged off topic nonsense

no, itā€™s a rebuttal to your own off-topic and spiteful reply to the author of this thread: an on-topic response to your suggestion that the authorā€™s search for flexible financial services (and eventually finding them, after 4 months) was somehow a sign of irresponsibility and/or that the bank granted these services as some kind of mistake. Thatā€™s relevant because this prejudice both comes from and sustains these rigid bank policies.

If you think thatā€™s an unfair assessment then youā€™re welcome to explain what you meant in both of your critical and unhelpful comments above. In any case Iā€™ll back out of this thread except to thank @anon97924753 for completing the original posting with a proper answer.

@anon97924753 Appreciate you following up and letting us know, glad it worked out for you.

1 Like