D7 visa Portugal

Hello,
I understood that after living 5 years in Portugal it is possible to apply for a portugese citizenship.
Is it possible to get a Portugese citizenship via the D7 visa ? i.e living in Portugal for 5 years with a D7 visa and then applying for citizenship?
Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, though technically you don’t live in Portugal with a D7 visa. The D7 allows you to enter the country to apply for a residence permit. After living in Portugal for 5 years with residence permits you can apply for citizenship. The law:

SECTION III
Acquisition of nationality by naturalization
Article 6
Requirements
1 - The Government grants Portuguese nationality, by naturalization, to foreigners who cumulatively satisfy the following requirements:
a) Be older or emancipated under Portuguese law;
b) Residing legally in Portuguese territory for at least five years;
c) Know the Portuguese language sufficiently;
d) They have not been convicted, with final judgment, with a prison sentence of 3 years or more;
e) Do not constitute a danger or threat to national security or defense, through their involvement in activities related to the practice of terrorism, under the terms of the respective law.
http://www.pgdlisboa.pt/leis/lei_mostra_articulado.php?nid=614&tabela=leis&so_miolo

Site is in Portuguese. Chrome browser translates using Brazilian Portuguese. To use European Portuguese, go to Bing Microsoft Translator - Vertalen uit Engels. Paste the URL into the left hand box. Clicking on the URL in the right hand box opens the translated site in a new tab.

The law doesn’t define ‘sufficiently’ for requirement C. For the permanent residence permit it’s defined as CEFR level A2. Common European Framework of Reference for Languages - Wikipedia

1 Like

Ok. Thanks a lot!
One more relevant issue: I know that the D7 requires that the visa holder will live at least 6 months per year in Portugal.
My question is - does this apply to the entire family or only to the person asking for the visa?
Thanks !

Can someone confirm whether significant savings would meet the income requirement for the D7?

1 Like

The D7 visa has no requirements for how long you have be in Portugal per year. You must have a residence permit (or an appointment to request one) to stay in Portugal after the 4 month D7 visa expires. The permit requirements don’t state how long you must live in Portugal per year. It states how long you can be outside of Portugal during the total valid period of the permit. With a residence permit you can only spend 6 consecutive months, or 8 months total, outside of Portugal

The first residence permit, called the temporary residence permit, has a valid period of 2 years (was 1 until this year). The next permit, called the residence permit, has a valid period of 3 years (was 2 until this year). After 5 years you can request a permanent residence permit. With that you can spend 24 months continuous or 30 months total outside of Portugal within a 3 year period.

2 Likes

Yes. The requirement for sufficient funds can come from any combination of investments, income and savings, and must be accessible to you from Portugal.

1 Like

Hi, I am planning to apply for D7 visa and I am into IT working remotely. I wish to know if I can show funds form my parent’s bank account providing a letter to make up for the initial 8460 eur, as at the moment I have 6k in savings from my salary so far, so falling short.
I can transfer the amount to my bank account and apply after few months or I can transfer say around 2k to a Portuguese bank account and in my application can say rest after I get the visa.

Can someone suggest any option that might be best?

Thanks

It has to be your money. However also there are reports that if you cannot show the income, it takes quite a bit more in savings to qualify - actual income is preferred over mere savings. Do not debate why this is right or wrong, it simply appears to be the case. There also appears to be no set figure as it depends on age.

Thanks for the reply.
I can wait a few months then to accumulate the required savings from my income. Out of that I might transfer 2k to the Portuguese bank account, planning to save up 10k in all. But just hoping remote IT workers would be considered.

Also, I have tried applying for Banco account online but it is throwing an error, mailed there customer service and have been waiting for a reply, it’s been a week now. Any other way to get this done or any other bank with minimal monthly maintenance charges and can be opened online?

Thanks