Dual citizenship: US & Spain

Hi folks, my husband and I are working on our plan for EU Citizenship. I am a US citizen who has spent 5+ years in France, Italy and Spain. My husband is a dual citizen US & Argentina. He has a path to Spanish citizenship through lineage but from what I have read, in order for me to get citizenship in Spain as his spouse I would need to give up my US citizenship. Does anyone know if this is truly the case in practice? Seems odd that there would be no US /Spain dual citizens, but I don’t have any anecdotal information. Thanks in advance for any insight.

From my own research online, Spain doesn’t allow dual citizenship except with its previous colonies, Portugal, and Brazil (?). From what I gathered, the only US citizens that qualify for dual citizenship with Spain are those from Puerto Rico (as it was a Spanish colony before). If I remember correctly, you can get this certificate by living for a year in Puerto Rico. Then, you don’t have to renounce US citizenship when granted Spanish citizenship.

Although you have to sign a written oath in Spain renouncing your previous citizenship, this oath doesn’t mean anything to the US government. Therefore, to the US government, you will continue to be a US citizen after signing any such oath.

Furthermore, the Spanish government doesn’t care if you actually go through the steps to renounce your previous citizenship afterwards. Most people just end up keeping their previous citizenship and remember to enter Spain with their Spanish passport.

Please read this discussion on Quora for more details

Hey Everyone!

The steps to get a Spanish Citizenship as an U.S. citizen in 3 years are as follows.

1. Move to PR and obtain a PR Citizenship Certificate (1 year requirement)
  2. Move to Spain and apply (2 years requirement)

I’m currently in the process of moving to Puerto Rico, which I will be setting up my consulting business over there for the purpose of getting a Puerto Rican Citizenship Certificate. I’m moving my business over so I can be on PR payroll for 12 months, as required for the certificate. You can also receive the certificate by just getting a job there and having it for 12 months.

To apply for a Puerto Rican Citizenship Certificate, you must fall underneath the ONE of the FOUR situations.

• Have been born in Puerto Rico
  • Have U.S. citizenship and at least one parent who was born in Puerto Rico
    *** Have U.S. citizenship and have resided in Puerto Rico for at least one year before applying**
  • Have been declared a citizen of Puerto Rico by a competent court of law

If you’re a citizen of the United States, you’ll fall under eligibility number 3.

The requirements for PR Citizenship are as follows:

• Invoices for water, electricity, and internet/phone services for 12 months at the address indicated in the application
  • A valid Puerto Rican driver’s license or other piece of identification with a photo and signature issued by the Puerto Rican government
  • An employment certificate, payroll stub, or other proof of employment in Puerto Rico over the preceding 12 months
  • A copy of the first page of your most recently filed income tax return
  • Fees of $30

I contacted a Spanish Immigration Law Firm and they provided me this information:
"After a quick study of the validity of the referred "Certificate of Puerto Rican Citizenship “, you are initially right, according to the RDGRN Resolution of June 25, 2007, this document should serve before the Spanish authorities as proof of belonging to an Ibero-American country , whose nationals will only need to reside legally and continuously in Spain for two years in order to access the nationality application process.” -Lexidy Law

Open to hearing more ideas

5 Likes

I’ve wondered how Texas is managed. Has anyone tried?

1 Like

I would like to do something similar, during my year in Puerto Rico could I work remotely for a US company not based there and still qualify for the “proof of employment” requirement? Thanks for the info.

1 Like

I am jumping in here in haste and I might be completely off topic… but I have read info from people who promote getting citizenship in some Spanish speaking countries and then using that as a short cut to citizenship in Spain… but the Spanish law requires citizenship and being born in the other spanish spesaking country… not just citizenship. just flagging this in case it has not been made clear already. sorry if it has.

Thanks for your input Shoari, there seems to be conflicting information on the exact requirements to use this pathway for citizens of puerto rico since it is an un-incorporated territory. I will continue to research to see if I can find something concrete.

1 Like

Can you give an update on you efforts/process/progress? (PR citizenship… towards Spanish Citizenship after 2 years).

This the same exact thing we are trying to do for my husband.

Do you have any updates?

Hello! Any update on your status? I just received the Certificate of Citizenship having been in a very similar situation to you and am about to apply for the Spanish Passport. It would be SUPER helpful to hear how the process went for you not being born in PR (like me).

Exploring Paths to Spanish Citizenship

• Option-based Citizenship: This path is open to individuals born to at least one Spanish parent at the time of their birth, available for election at any age, and to minors under the legal guardianship of a Spaniard, up to two years after reaching adulthood or emancipation.
  • Descent-based Citizenship: If you have a Spanish parent, grandparent, or were originally Spanish, this route may be for you. Remember, applications must be filed by October 21, 2024.
  • Residency-based Citizenship: Living in Spain legally and continuously can lead to citizenship within 1, 2, 5, or 10 years, depending on your circumstances:
    • 1-Year Requirement: Applies to individuals married to Spaniards and those born in Spain to non-Spanish parents.
    • 2-Year Requirement: Designed for citizens of Ibero-American countries, Portugal, Andorra, and former Spanish colonies.
    • 5-Year Requirement: For individuals who have been granted refugee status.
    • 10-Year Requirement: Open to all other nationalities.