Getting a Portuguese NIF in times of Omicron (2022)

Hi everyone :grinning:

I can see that the topic of NIF application has been discussed several times already :joy: still, I would like to know if anyone was able to obtain a NIF recently or at least to get an appointment at Financas? Or do you happen to know a Financas Office where you can get the NIF without prior appointment currently?
I tried so far:

• Calling the hotline
    My Portuguese is still limited unfortunately. I was initially happy when the lady on the phone spoke some English. However, she was not able to understand me when I told her my e-mail address (even when I tried to spell everything in Portuguese) to confirm the appointment. So in the end she just told me to go to a certain tax office in Porto at a certain time, and that an appointment was reserved for me. After that, I e-mailed said office and of course the appointment doesn’t exist :upside_down_face:
  • E-mailing several Financas Offices
    I either didn’t get a response or I was advised to call the hotline for an appointment

I am an EU citizen (and EU resident), so in theory I don’t need a tax representative, but I am thinking about getting one now. So can you recommend online services like e-residence.com or bordr, or do you have any other advice?

Many thanks :wave:
Lorena

1 Like

used bordr and was very easy and worth the cost to not have to figure it all out. you need a tax rep if you dont live in PT and they take care of that.

1 Like

NIF Online has also received good feedback from the community, and is by far the most affordable option.

You even get an additional discount if you use the code nomadgate . I believe the same code works for bordr.

1 Like

Do you live in Portugal? If you do, just go to a Financas office early and say you want to get a NIF, if they ask you why, say “for opening a bank account”. I’ve done this last December in Lisbon, and got appointments just by going there in two other Financas offices.

Hi all,

I live in Germany and cannot come to Portugal, so tried to get NIF via email as per Thomas’ article. This seems not to be possible. Any one succeeded recently?

Mauricio