Golden Visa vs D7... Which To choose

Thank you all. The information was very helpful. We’d been reading up on the different discussion topics. We’d like to travel more and not have the limitation of having to be in Portugal for 8 months for the first 2 years and then 10 months second 3 year permit.

We are still in the early research stage, so please excuse us for asking stupid questions or not knowing enough.

We plan to sell and close our house in the US by the end of November. After that, we’d like to move to Sao Miguel. We can stay there 3 months, but finding a place to purchase, applying for the golden visa, etc. will take longer than 3 months. What’s the best way to be able to stay there longer than 3 months and continue to get things done? If we go to another country in the EU for a short stay or a vacation, would that reset the clock when we go back or the 90 days cumulative of the stay in the EU?

Assuming you hold a US passport, in addition to the 90/180 days in the Schengen zone, the US have separate visa agreements with individual Schengen states. So you can stay, in theory, another 3 months/90days. Again, these agreements were made before the Schengen Agreement, so your stay beyond 90/180 days rule will be subject to whether a Border Officer stamping you out is having a good day or not.

List of Member States’ bilateral visa waiver agreements with third countries allowing for an extension of the period of stay in accordance with Article 20(2), point (b), of the Convention implementing the Schengen Agreement

4 Likes

Thank you for the information. Very informative.

2 Likes

Isn’t Ireland a part of Schengen? In that case it wouldn’t re-set the 90-day clock. However, Northern Ireland and the rest of UK would.

Ireland isn’t actually part of Schengen. Don’t ask me why but it’s not. Probably because of the whole c-f that is the british-irish border.

Wow, I was unaware of it! Thank you for letting me know - one more place to visit long-term whilst re-setting the dreaded 90-day limit! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ireland opted out of the Schengen zone mainly because it is in a Common Travel Area (without border controls) with the United Kingdom, pre-dating the Schengen agreement. Thus, the Irish passport holder enjoys freedom of movement with the UK, the Schengen zone and the EU.

Thank you for clarification. This is good news since I don’t know just how long GV process would take, and if I have to resort to exiting Schengen for 90 days, this would be a great option (rather than hopping the Big Pond). :slight_smile:

1 Like