Mercan valuations, safety of investment, buy back 'guarantee'

Can you elaborate on point 3 of your post ?
What is the source of this info ? My lawyer said they have tens of applicants who currently live in other EU countries. Thanks

1 Like

i checked again with the lawyers, the the law is very clear and what matter is the applicant nationality. ( i have the law but its in Portuguese)
im attaching also the brief doc, pls read the last paragraph, with who is not eligible.

3 Likes

Could you point to any actual law preventing holding two residency permits in the EU? This is the first Iā€™ve heard of it, and from my understanding of things that wouldnā€™t make any sense. Could be that Iā€™m wrong, of course, but Iā€™d be surprised if thatā€™s an actual law, not just FUD orā€”more likelyā€”a misunderstanding.

I donā€™t think itā€™s FUD, so much as ā€œpossible but difficultā€. Typically, the rules work out such that the requirements of one residence permit basically exclude the possibility of holding another permit. e.g. if you hold a PT D7, how are you going to stay 183 days in DE for an aufenthalt? And even if there arenā€™t time issues, thereā€™s 27 different legal regimes and not all of them feel the same way, so you have to negotiate a field of landmines. Plus, will the Schengen Information System actually accept it or spit out your permit information? And do you want to keep two lawyers on-call for if something crops up?

I havenā€™t spent a ton of time pawing the EU legal framework, but I havenā€™t run across any prohibitions. That said, I also havenā€™t run across anything that would be particularly accommodating either.

https://community.nomadgate.com/t/can-i-get-2nd-eu-residence-to-work-in-eu-country-other-than-portugal-having-a-short-residence-in-portugal-under-pgv-program

i am also on the same path but i think Mercan is a better option, as with funds, getting your money back is not clear, and seems very hard,
just working on using Mercan lawyer IAS or using some other lawyer

Hi
i have worked on some funds and it is very very hard to get the money back, you have to find someone who will buy your share and the funds are very long about 8-10 or more years, so it seems have a lot of risk in them

The Mercan lawyersā€™ assertion that there is EU law which makes it illegal to have two permits is incorrect, at least in its most general form. They mentioned the case of a GV holder (dependent) being refused a student permit by Austria. I donā€™t know about Austria, but I know for a fact that the Netherlands explicitly allows students with residence permits from other EU countries to get student permits, and it works in the specific case of a student holding a Portugal GV as a dependent.

During the application process for international students, NL universities literally have a form which asks ā€œare you a non-EU/EEA national BUT have an EU permit?ā€ and if you say yes and upload a copy of your permit, they say, ā€œoh thatā€™s nice, you donā€™t need an MVV visa to enter NL, saves us both some trouble, and [some weeks later] hereā€™s the confirmation letter from IND that you will receive your permit after you get here and submit biometrics.ā€

IND wouldnā€™t be doing this if there was a blanket EU law against two permits.

There may still be issues from SEFā€™s side, when it comes to the citizenship stage, but itā€™s certainly not illegal to have two permits provided you meet the conditions of both.

It works against Mercanā€™s interests to scare potential customers away with this, so I assume they are doing this in good faith based on one or two examples theyā€™ve seen.

2 Likes

Hi Mahima, I am pretty much in the same mind:

I am struggling to figure out any strong alternatives.

Just wondering if you have come across some firsthand experience, and whether the buyback option was actually honored, and do you know if not what would be the fallback scenario?

1 Like

You may want to look into the imga acoes fund

1 Like