Passport application stories and experiences

hello dera i glad to see you here and i happy for you for your successful in pt language
you can sell your apartment after 5 years?and you get yor perminent residency pr ?

2 Likes

Hi there

I am not sure if you wanted to ask me or you just forwarded my message by mistake.
Regarding the selling apartment in your question, unfortunately I am unable to answer as I invested in the Fund route.

Hi, I am interested in learning Portuguese. Kindly link me up with those who can assist me

The discussion about learning Portuguese is here: Portugese Learning Tips/Resources for A2 Language Requirement

1 Like

Kindly introduce your teacher to me. I want someone to teach me Portuguese.

In the chats regarding the naturalization process, people talk that when the authorities start analysis (phase 4 or 5, I suppose) and when they grant citizenship, you need to have valid residence permit. In that case GV program requires two more renewals, as the processes now take over 2 years.
Is this the case? Anybody could confirm that he/she received the passport without renewed permit?

Well not necessarily now that the initial permit is also 2 years. So the timeline is more like:

Initial permit: 2 years total residence
1st renewal: 4 years total residence
2nd renewal: 6 years total residence. You can apply at year 5.
3rd renewal: 8 years total residence. If you applied at year 5 you will likely get citizenship around year 7, making this your last renewal.

Some folks apply for PR as soon as possible and ride that until citizenship - does anyone have a handy list of options a prices for when it comes time for that?

1 Like

The GV PR costs €8136,95 for issuance and half of that for renewals.

Oh, of course. A bit better now. But those who have already applied for citizenship have most likely their first GV for 1 year only.

So my question is if it is true that I should continue renewals or could skip the last one?

My lawyer said that technically the law only requires you to have held legal residence for 5 years when applying for citizenship. However they also said that to be safe they’d recommend you apply whilst you still hold a valid GV.

1 Like

I am planning to apply for citizenship this October and have received my 3rd card this May. As extensions given during Covid are said to be counted for the 5 year residency, many people will hold a valid residency permit when applying for citizenship.

Yet if the process takes two years which is pretty much the view shared by many, at some point during the process I might need to apply for a renewal or PR… I can avoid it if the application is processed within the next 18 months.

For your note I’ve checked the above with my lawyers and they told me that I don’t need to apply for PR for the time being because of the fact that my card will be valid till May 25.

Oh, yes, I have got the same advice. I renewed and applied, but permit expires soon while the naturalization process is far from the end. If they keep automatic renew I will do it no doubt, but just wonder what happens if we all got into legal limbo and my case start to be analyzed while I do not have a valid permit.
My lawyer says “let’s wait and see”, which does not make me even a bit more comfortable.

Back then, when I was ready to apply for citizenship in 2023, I seriously considered if I should throw in PR application too, along with citizenship request, as documents required for both are almost the same. What ultimately stopped me from trying for GV PR is that in 2023, no SEF counter was accepting any GV related request, including GV PR, of course. Sef online platform was also shut the whole year of 2023, until it was completely phased out… So literally, I could not find a working platform to submit GV PR in 2023. So I went ahead with citizenship application alone. Until now, SEF was gone and IRN is not handing GV requests at all. I feel like the only viable exit of GV since 2022 is citizenship application only. Other than that, be it PR or renewal, it’s just impossible.

1 Like

This is what my lawyer said as well. He told me that even though I completed 5 years of residency and my current GV card expires in 2025, I would have to renew my GV one more time as citizenship is currently taking almost 3 years until approval.

I considered applying for a PR vs. renewing my GV, and I ended up renewing my GV because PR had significantly higher stay requirements (at least 6 months in Portugal per year, I believe). Is there something called a GV PR? How does it differ from regular PR?

How can you renew your GV beyond Year 5 other than transitioning to PR GV?

I thought if you maintained your investment you could just keep renewing the GV, usually there would be no reason is all

Can GV applicants apply for a different visa that’s cheaper while they wait for the passport application? Even if it comes with a stay requirement, that might be doable for a year or two

I noticed that there are postings in this string that explain the options in great detail. I wish I had known about the GV PR when I did my last renewal although I am not sure if these are being processed in a timely manner.

https://community.nomadgate.com/t/passport-application-stories-and-experiences/53563/12?u=sck

https://community.nomadgate.com/t/portuguese-citizenship-application-after-5-years-of-golden-visa/21226/45?u=sck

1 Like

I’m pretty certain there are major differences between GV PR and normal PR in applying. The first one cost a lot but does not have extra stay requirement longer than 7 days per year, plus a language test. It’s really just the same thing as citizenship. Normal PR costs almost nothing & it has stricter stay requirement, plus social security contributions. GV holders CAN apply for normal PR in theory, but in reality im afraid since 2023, no service counter or online platform accept PR applications from GV card holders. But 892/882 or other residency holder could.

1 Like