Cost of Renewing GV and move to Permanent Residency

SEF finally posted its new list of prices. Am I misunderstanding or is the cost to move from GV to permanent residence now €7548?
https://imigrante.sef.pt/?media_dl=3635

1 Like

Seems that way since it says" For granting or renewing the PR permit…"

The renewing is 3774

1 Like

Seems like most of us have no choice but to pay for the €7,548 fee per family member… I forget how long this last before the renewal (?) – in theory one doesn’t need to if citizenship application does take 1-2 years to approve… but who knows these days…

I guess it also make sense to delay giving us all citizenships so the fees keep coming in :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t apply for permanent then. Just keep renewing the temporary. There’s no particular requirement to switch to permanent if you’re applying for naturalization anyway. ?

1 Like

I believe there are two types of portuguese permanent resident permit. One is the expensive one( golden visa permanent residence) stated above in which you don’t have to live in Portugal majority of the year. However, if you convert into the cheaper normal permanent residence permit, you would have to live in Portugal majority of the year.

1 Like
2 Likes

If I apply for permanent resident, does that mean we can sell the investment right after or I still need to keep it? If I still need to keep it, I will keep renewing temporary resident then.

1 Like

Depends on you. If you apply for PR but doesn’t live in Portugal, it is recommended that you keep the investment.

With the new law governing the Golden Visas now in force, have the rules remained the same for securing Permanent Residency — valid for 5 years? Ie as a GV holder you can apply for PR after 5 years with the only additional requirement being A2 Portuguese (while the regular PR requires accommodation and proof of income).

The rules on acquisition of the rights to permanent residency are very similar across the EU. As a non-EU national if you have officially resided in an EU country, you become entitled to apply for long term (permanent) residency status in that country (unless there are security or other reasons for rejecting your application - eg criminal record or clear burden to the state).
This link may be helpful: Already in the EU?.
The rules have been developed to promote free movement of people between the countries and to promote equal treatment of long-term residents and citizens of the host EU country.
The citizenship requirements are sovereign responsibility and therefore vary by country, but the rights to permanent residency are very similar and are a condition of a country joining (or exiting) the Union.

1 Like

@Onward
Just looking at the rules and it requires almost continuous stay in the EU country. May be difficult for most people to comply. Giving below an extract.
“Can I leave the host EU country during the five-year period before I fill out my application?
Yes. You can spend periods shorter than six months in a row abroad, if those periods do not add up to more than ten months in total during the necessary five-year period before you hand in your application. Such periods outside your country of residence will not be considered as interruptions when calculating the duration of your residence.”

I was replying to the question: have the rules remained the same for securing Permanent Residency — valid for 5 years?
Affirmative. If one completes 5 years of official residency in Portugal (as any other country in the EU), one is entitled to apply for permanent residency. The difference lies in what constitutes 5 years’ official residency in Portugal under the Golden Visa regime vs the standard EU residency requirement.
Normal residency in any EU country (including Portugal) requires physical presence. The common rules are that resident cannot have left for a consecutive period of more than six months or a total of 10 months over the 5 years they live in a country.
The Portugal Golden Visa regime breaks these rules by providing (for a fee) an official resident permit which waives physical presence other than for 7 days per year for a total of 5 years. This is the attraction of the GV residence permit despite the painful prolonged procedural wait - for those who cannot physically reside in Portugal and wish to acquire the right to apply for permanent residency (or citizenship) after 5 years.
It is also because the common rule is not applied with this GV (permitting EU entry and circulation with associated security risks) that the EU disapproves.

One must consider that there are many types of Permanent Residency:

• Portugal level:
  1. normal PR
  2. GV PR

Both can be applied for after 5 years GV because Portugal makes the rules and has decided to accept 5 years of any residence permit as qualifying for normal PR, and explicitly says 5 years of GV qualifies for GV PR.

• EU level:
  1. blue card
  2. EU Long Term Residency.

Blue card is mostly to attract skilled workers so not really interesting for GV holders. Not clear if EU Long Term Residency can be applied for after 5 years of GV, unless one also satisfies additional boots on ground time.

You can definitely get EU Long Term Residency if you have a GV and also live in Portugal nonstop for 5 years.

1 Like

What do you mean by “non stop” ? does it means that one should stay in the country for entire 5 years period?

• To obtain long-term resident status, non-EU citizens must have lived legally and continuously in an EU country for 5 years.
  • Absences of less than 6 consecutive months and no more than 10 months over the whole period are permitted when calculating the 5 years.
  • Non-EU nationals must prove they have stable and regular economic resources to support themselves and their family and have sickness insurance.
    …
  • Successful applicants are given a residence permit that is valid for at least 5 years and is automatically renewable.
  • Long-term residents may lose that status if they:
    • …
    • leave the EU for 12 consecutive months.

- EUR-Lex - l23034 - EN - EUR-Lex

1 Like

However in practice after Portugal introduced this “GV PR”, it does not allow GV holders to apply for normal PR, only for GV PR.

If you have fresh opposite examples, it is interesting to know, because I know at least two recent cases where people were not allowed to apply for normal PR despite those already live in Portugal and were forced to apply for GV PR.

1 Like

Do you know whether these two applicants have fulfilled stay requirements (absences of less than 6 consecutive months and no more than 10 months over the whole period of 5 years) at the time of application?

I guess not, otherwise why they were paying for GV? But moved to Portugal at the last phase, let’s suppose about 2 yrs ago.

But the claim above was that it does not matter, as Portugal looks only at residence permit, not how many days you have spent. And SEF contagem de tempo does not differ much between GV and regular resident. And formally PR rules are written similarily to naturaluzation.
In practice as PR is given by the same SEF, they see the GV programm and do not accept application to normal PR.

My understanding is that regular PT PR requirements is very similar to other EU countries. PT GV PR is a PT national programme which only requires 7 days/year boots-on-ground.
Regardless with temporary residency permit one has been holding, as long as fulfiling regular boots-on-grround requirements, one is eligible to apply for regular PT PR.
Someone i know who initially applied for GV in 2013 and subsequently moved to PT some months afterwards due to circumstance change, successfully got regular PR and renewed.

1 Like

So they got their PR in 2018? Seems @seagu77 is suggesting the policy may have changed since then.