Portal ARI unavailable for new applications

Our application was submitted 4th of January, 2022 so if it is not accepting applications it may not have been a hard cutoff on the 1st of January.

1 Like

I have the same issue ( from the 21st of January). Besides your case I had already submitted my application in september 2021 but 3 weeks ago SEF requested additional documents to be submitted. Though itā€™s impossible now. My lawyer said that they will try to send the requested document by paper mail.

Thanks for the information!
Maybe somebody who send documents by paper mail, received the answer from SEF?
Please write about it, it would be useful to everyone.

1 Like

Here is a statement from the Mercan legal partner firm IAS:

Some of it is specific to Mercan customers, but the general information is broadly of interest to everyone reading this thread I think.

2 Likes

Really makes me admire IAS. They have great communication . My lawyer has never provided any sort of updates like this.

3 Likes

This article mentions that "The new government should be indicated on the last week of February "

Based on recent news articles I have read, the actual time frame may be March and the new budget not approved until June 2022. Unfortunately, not much may happen between now and then.

1 Like

Hi all,

I was just wondering if this gap in time since the Portuguese govt stopped processing applications would directly translate into a delay in our GV application timeframe? I.e. we were previously told that we should expect to get our golden visa by the end of 2022, approximately, but should we now expect that time to be pushed back to June 2023?

Kind regards,
Sherry

1 Like

When did you apply?

SEF has yet to finalise applications lodged in late 2020 (with biometrics not completed). Itā€™s almost the second quarter of 2022.

1 Like

Iā€™m currently in the process of transferring the funds and buying the deed. I was previously told this entire process takes around a year or so, which is why Iā€™m wondering if this ARI portal shutdown would have an impact on my overall schedule.

Currently the biometrics booking stopped for pre-approvals from May 2021 onward. Considering 3 months for pre-approval, applicants submitted in Feb 2021 are still not able to book biometrics appointments.

Letā€™s say SEF send out inviations of appointment booking for May/June 2021 pre-approvals in March 2022 and have biometrics appoint in May 2022. Most likely, these applicants will get the residence permits in Sept 2022. It will be a 18-19 month journey.

Before the pandemic, applications took an average 6 months to complete with residence card in hand. Since the pandemic, applications have taken 18-20 months.

1 Like

Hey everyone!
Maybe somebody has news on this issue?
The portal has not been working for 3 months.
3 months no one can submit a new application for Golden Visa in Portugal :frowning:

1 Like

The Cabinet of the elected government will likely be announced tonight, and the new Government expected to be sworn in by/on 30th March. Thereafter, the budget discussion and vote. An approved budget allocation is probable very late May or (more likely) June.
All that was expected. But as soon as Russia invaded Ukraine and people began to flee the war, Portugal offered practical support to those fleeing for their lives. Temporary visas and job offers. There is a large, well-integrated Ukrainian community in Portugal. SEF is now on the front line processing visas (~20,000 refugees as of 23th March) the majority mothers with small children.

2 Likes

which is to say, the GV process has probably stopped for a while even if the portal happens to get enabled.

Seems so, but letā€™s not be too pessimistic and just wait for the new govt. and budget cycle to play out by June.
If we donā€™t get any movement on the portal/biometrics by end of June, I personally am going to look more closely at possible backdoor access to SEF.

2 Likes

Call me a card-carrying member of pessimists-r-us. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sure, Jeff you can afford to be pessimistic lol :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

My wifeā€™s still hasnā€™t processed due to a request for more paperwork, so Iā€™m not really out of the woods here eitherā€¦ admittedly itā€™s farther along and so we donā€™t particularly need the portal to work, but still in the holding pattern here too. :I

1 Like

Any news about the online portal to get the appoinment for renewal of residence cards?

This thread is/was for new applications in 2022.
Regarding renewals the following threads may be of interestā€¦?

ARI Holders (Stage 5) and
How do you renew a Golden Visa? and
Renewing GV - 2nd card - Process