Portugal Golden Visa temporary residence permit benefits

All below questions are with respect to Portugal Golden Visa through investment also know as ARI.

I know we do not require visa to enter Schengen Area with Temporary Residence Permit. But are there limits to the time period we can stay in other countries in the Schengen area, when we hold Portugal Temporary Residence Permit?

Are there any difference to the benefits of Temporary residence permit(first 5 years) vs Permanent residence permit(issued after 5 years) ?

Once we get the Permanent residence permit what are the requirements in terms of stay in Portugal. How often does it have to be renewed if at all in case we do not opt for citizenship?

1 Like

Hi @jpgoldenvisa
You can use this helpful website called NomadVisa: https://nomadvisa.io/touristvisa
According to this website, if you apply for a Tourist visa, you can stay for a maximum of 90 days in a period of 180 days.

About your second question: After 5 years of living in the country, you can apply for Portuguese citizenship.

About the 3rd question, you can find all the information here: https://imigrante.sef.pt/en/renovar-residencia/

Thanks for the reply.
Just to clarify, all above questions were with respect to Portugal Golden Visa through investment also know as ARI.
In this type of application you get temporary residence permit for the first 5 years and then at the end of the 5th year you can apply for Permanent residence permit.

Unless you get Portuguese citizenship, the entry/stay rule for the Schengen zone is the same (either during the first five years or after the five years).

Thanks Alison. Thats good to hear.

From the ‘Moving between EU Countries’ button at Already in the EU? | EU Immigration Portal :

"Going to another EU country during my long-term stay – more than 90 days

When you stay in an EU country for a long stay, usually for more than 90 days, you will generally be issued with a long-stay visa and/or a residence permit.

If your long-stay visa or residence permit has been issued by a Schengen area country, you can travel to another Schengen area country for 90 days per 180 day period. You must:
- justify the purpose of your stay;
- have sufficient financial resources for your stay and travel back;
- not be considered a threat to public policy, public security or public health.

You can also pass through other Schengen area countries on the way to your host country.

To move from one EU country to another for more than 90 days, you will need a long-stay visa or a residence permit for that country. If you wish to work, study or join your family in the second country, you may have to fulfil more conditions."

Thanks Dan for the excellent link.