Portugal Golden Visa - The New Law of 2023

seems too early. won’t be until it’s too late for anyone to buy and still get the GV.

I doubt anything above 500 will drop much. Maybe stuff at around 500.

I could only wish. I shoulda bot a couple years ago

That doesn’t make any sense since Lisbon has been off limits for the GV for over a year now.

8 Likes

Yeah I dont really follow the logic here

1 Like

This article publishes extracts from the report on the ARI which was commissioned by the Government and produced in Jan/Feb this year.

“A report requested by the Government itself criticizes the lack of data on the program and questions whether the Gold Visas (now defunct) have removed “access to housing for national citizens.” The program failed to create jobs and was permeable to corruption, the report said.”

1 Like

Needless to say, the report is very biased.
“Pressure on housing market”? 1% pressure?
“Job creation failure”? just look at the Marcan projects alone on direct and indirect jobs created, sure missed out in the report.
“Risk of corruption and discrimination”? Proof? yes investors in ARI are discriminated, we should be treated far better.

9 Likes

Completely biased to support the Government’s narrative and therefore the proposed changes we have now seen. It is very sad for the state of truth and democracy in Portugal.

6 Likes

I assume it’s been leaked by the government to get their case into the media in advance of the parliamentary process. From the press article, it seems that the report spends most of its time saying “it might have done X or Y, but honestly there’s not enough data to say either way”. And then in the conclusion it comes up with the lines the government was after.

1 Like

Does the Portuguese health system carry over to other European countries if you are visiting? if you bought a place for your GV then technically you have a residency. So you have to stay around 7 days a year and can qualify for the health care system? Any benefit to doing that?

Consulting in a nutshell, it’s just information laundering. Turns your “not enough data” into “we must do what we already wanted to do”.

2 Likes

Probably a bit late in the game, particularly since the government seems to be treating us OK in the latest proposal
but that article and others like it really make the case for hiring a PR firm to publish articles that refute its claims.

Then again, every little bit of public goodwill (or lack of badwill) would be valuable to us since we require it for the better part of a decade if we want citizenship.

1 Like

I think that PAIIR have hired a PR firm to do that?

2 Likes

(Off topic discussion)

I’m not an expert and don’t quote me on this

But I don’t think so. 7-day year residency requirement does not grant you Portuguese healthcare coverage from what I gather until you reside as a full time tax resident of Portugal. Even then I find it hard to comprehend how one country’s health care system can fund care across EU. But then again I’m from the US where this concept is really hard to comprehend. So YMMV

1 Like

Many countries with State (free at point of use) Health systems offer reciprocal arrangements foreign citizens / residents. The UK GHIC being one, so if PT offers this it’s not unique.

1 Like

This is not correct.
GV holders have full access to the PT healthcare system, same as any other legal resident in PT.
Furthermore, GV applicants with the initial application date prior to 31 Dec 2021 also have access to it legally, even if they don’t have their GV residence card yet.

I cannot tell how the intra-EU health cover works, but I guess it would be something like EHIC/GHIC of which UK is still a member even post-Brexit.

1 Like

A follow up question to the last line " You will also pay US taxes for any dividends, interest, sales of stock
"
If you are a tax resident in an EU country (even if they have a tax treaty with the US)

Do you not pay the capital gains rates of your resident country on the capital gains?
The CG rate in Portugal in 28% for individuals, in Germany 25+%, whereas in the US it can range between 10-20%

This is pretty tidy difference

Say more - how do I go about getting said coverage? Don’t you have to have a local address to do so?

1 Like

Yes I believe it’s a pretty involved process to get the SNS, this page just says you need residence card and NIF number: Request the SNS’s user number - ePortugal.gov.pt

But people who’ve actually done it say you have to show proof of residence (buy a house or rent something) too, because you can only apply through the local health center assigned to your address and they need proof of that.

3 Likes

I have not got the SNS utente number myself but there is a pretty detailed post from @nevadaandonward detailing how to get one:
https://community.nomadgate.com/t/sns-number-and-eu-digital-covid-certificate-in-portugal/41589

And just to refresh the legal basis since that post was posted, I provide the link to the same Despacho that I shared here a few times before :sunglasses:
https://dre.pt/dre/detalhe/despacho/12870-c-2021-176908200

To quote the said Despacho:
“Os documentos referidos no nĂșmero anterior sĂŁo considerados vĂĄlidos perante todos os serviços pĂșblicos, designadamente para obtenção do nĂșmero de utente, acesso ao Serviço Nacional de SaĂșde ou a outros direitos de assistĂȘncia Ă  saĂșde, obtenção do nĂșmero de identificação da segurança social, acesso Ă s prestaçÔes sociais de apoio, celebração de contratos de arrendamento, celebração de contratos de trabalho, abertura de contas bancĂĄrias e contratação de serviços pĂșblicos essenciais.”

3 Likes

From posts on Americans and Friends PT facebook group, I believe during the Pandemic if you didn’t have your residence permit yet they would give you a temporary SNS number for the vaccine certificate, but you would get a different number after getting the residence permit.

So it’s possible @nevadaandonward only got a temporary SNS number since their post said they had only done biometrics, not gotten the card yet?

2 Likes

That I do not know, but temporary or not matters not if either of them works and you get your health cared for?
Besides I have just supplied the link to the Despacho legally granting the right of access to ALL healthcare services for the GV applicants (and in fact many other resident permit applicants) who applied prior to 31 Dec 2021.