Portugal GV Fund Comparison?

Dear Larry Ward,

Could you please share with us which 2 Funds that you already choose and can you please give us a summary why did you choose them?
Also could you please share with us the lawyer that you selected.

Regards,
Khaled

Dear Cynthia Weissasher,

Thanks for your comment. Can you please share the lawyer & advisor details. Which funds that you are considering right now. I am looking for the safest option and something has the lowest risk possible. I prefer a fund which have a success story and a long history as much as possible.

Regards,
Khaled

Hi,
First - thank you to the community posting on this topic. There is a wealth of information here and it is well worth the time to read all the posts.
I am curious if any of you has retained the services of an ā€œindependent financial advisorā€ in Portugal. I think it may be worth the fees to have someone independent (and local) to help me evaluate the available funds keeping my interests in mind. What do you think?
Thanks.

Hi Everyone,

This is a very informative thread, thank you all for the information shared.

I have been in between several funds during the past months and almost decided on the Next Fund. This fund is managed by the same guys who run Nest Fund. Before I take things any further, I wanted to check if there is anyone who invested with Optylon Krea or Nest Fund before.
I would love to hear any positive/negative feedback.
Thanks,
Osman

1 Like

I was honestly turned off by Optylon. I know they received a lot of investment in NEST Fund but I found them to be big time salespeople and didnā€™t really trust their information. More importantly, I didnā€™t agree with their focus on high end retail development.

2 Likes

None of the funds have a long track record since the GV fund category was only created in ~2018.

They all have risk. They are private venture capital funds. There are funds that ā€œguaranteeā€ return of your money but it is unclear that those guarantees are worth the paper they are written on.

The only one Iā€™ve seen that Iā€™d call as having a long track record is the one that is 60% invested in Square CAPC and 40% in a JPMorgan global gov bond fund. I forget which one that is . You pay for the privilege of course but at least the underlying assets have a long track record that you can review. But some of us question the underlying management regulations.

Dear Khaled,

Thank you very much for your enquiry.

The Golden Portugal provides consultancy services for obtaining immigration visa in Portugal.

For customers that prefer to go through an investment visa option we provide access to different fund houses or other type of investments like real estate and others.

However, we are not a financial adviser and therefore donā€™t recommend specific funds to our customers.

If you are interested to obtain an immigration visa, we would be delighted to discuss this matter in detail with you through Zoom or any teleconference alternatives.

Looking forward to your news

If you are a US person for tax purposes, they seemed a little uninformed about PFIC. This is a big red flag for me. Granted my communication was just with the sales associates, I expected a fund manager with a track record like NEST to have a better idea regarding nuances like these.

1 Like

Hi, Anyone having information on 280K property investment on silvercoast?

I seriously considered that fund due to the safety and stability and its pedigree. However, a long history doesnā€™t necessarily mean profitable.

If it invests in this JP Morgan fund ā€œJFGLBTI:HK JPMorgan Global Bond Fundā€ they have a 5% front end load, and one year return is 0.96% and YTD return is -2.24%. Not to mention the 0.80% management fee. This GV fund may be invested in a slightly different JPM bond fund, but I think the crux of it is the same.

1 Like

If we are talking about companies and the people who have been in the VC/PE market, I remember Iberis shared their partnersā€™ investment track records with me when we talked to them and I remember seeing investments going as far back as 2010. Iberis itself was founded in 2017.

Would be happy looking at properties for 280k in Evora, Loule etcā€¦ thanksā€¦

Some of the law firms are pushing an independent advisor to the tune of 10,000-12,000 eurosā€¦ I guess this could be worth it. But I think with the wealth of info. here if you have the time to talk too folks and do your own due diligence you will do as well for yourself as anyone else. Iā€™ve been working with a guy informally who I found via a friend. Heā€™s San Francisco based and now living in Lisbonā€¦ he only does this for his clients currently, but is trying to create a business model that would allow him to help others.

1 Like

Agree! Iā€™m ruling out any fund that is not fluent in things like PFIC.

Hi Khaled,
Why donā€™t you PM me and we can talk off line about some details.
Cheers.

Wrong thread, this thread is for discussion of the fund route only. Thanks.

Most such funds have a range of classes of shares - load and non-load, institutional and advisor, depending on whoā€™s investing and what the cost structure is. I canā€™t say for certain, but Iā€™m quite sure that New Edge isnā€™t investing in the retail loaded shares, itā€™ll be some institutional/advisor class with no load and a lower fee structure. Thatā€™s just normal.

as for return, well, ya know, bonds can go down as well as up.

I talked to the folks at MedCapital recently and at first glance, things look promising:

1. One of the first GV compliant funds making investments into private healthcare. Should be an area with low volatility and strong growth.
  2. Backed by a big PE firm (in Portugal) like C2 Capital and experienced fund managers.
  3. Expecting to raise a substantial amount (50 million euro +). This should give them a chance to be a little more ambitious than some of the smaller funds.
  4. I believe a majority of the investors are actually local (Portuguese). This gives me a lot of confidence, as it is one thing for foreign investors to throw away cash as a means to getting a passport. Itā€™s a different thing altogether when you have support from local money.
  5. Management fees + performance fees look reasonable for the growth expected.
  6. Verbal commitment to annual PFIC statements and support for QEF elections. A signed commitment would have done more to put me at ease (like some of the other funds have done).

I am new to all of this (donā€™t have much of a background in finance/accounting), so take my thoughts above with a pinch of salt. I have been trying to learn as much as I can through my own research.

Wanted to hear if there are any other thoughts on this fund. @mmd: You mentioned you were leaning into this fund. Have you learnt anything more since?

1 Like

About the load in the funds, you make a good point.

@Trid3nt, that sums it up well. Iā€™m probably repeating myself on some of these points. The amount theyā€™d raised in January was around ā‚¬4MM so under subscription was a concern of mine. I assume theyā€™ve raised more by now. Iā€™m still likely going this direction based on my risk tolerance, talking to the fund managers, and input from some friends in the healthcare industry which also includes exposure in Portugal. Judging by growth estimates at Luz Saude (even despite the pandemic), private healthcare seems to be a good growth sector thatā€™s not as exposed to tourism.

3 Likes