Portugal PM resigns over corruption probe

Portugalā€™s PM Costa resigns over corruption investigation

4 Likes

Which has very interesting implications for the proposed end of NHR!

Why? The same party will just form government with a different PM and ram NHR changes inā€¦

Itā€™s a possibility that the president calls a new election, with the current popularity of PS it wouldnā€™t be surprising if they lose power (or at least their absolute majority).

1 Like

There may be more delays in passing new legislation now.

Costaā€™s plans maybe subject to change.

Talking to a few locals now in Lisbon didnā€™t give the impression of a celebrated politician.

Overall a positive for us I believe.

2 Likes

oh wow, I didnt realise the president could call an election, I guess I am used to Anglo parliamentary systemsā€¦

Still the polling favours PS, Opinion polling for the next Portuguese legislative election - Wikipedia

Wouldnā€™t be surprised if they get back in. Though this scandal, and more scandals in the future might hurt themā€¦

Does anyone know the oppositionā€™s ( PSD) policies on things like d7/d8/GV, citizenship etc?

My main worry is they want to change naturalisation lawsā€¦

Good riddance!

Happy to be enlightened by someone with more knowledge of Portuguese history and its modern day Parliament, butā€¦

Portuguese Iā€™ve spoken to today say the Chair just proposing a new government is ā€˜not typical,ā€™ has only happened once and that didnā€™t go well (??). Again any history buffs please chime in here.

They also feel ditching the current NHR was Costaā€™s idea, and at least heā€™s gone.

1 Like

The scuttlebutt in my political enthusiast circle is that Marcelo will probably call elections

Iā€™m concerned chega might do well (the racist and more relevantly for ARI applicants anti immigrant party) and sad that IL is in the dumps right now.

I donā€™t know much about PSD but I guess I should learn

President accepts Costaā€™s resignation - The Portugal News

What the leader of Chega says:

Gold visas are ā€œa way for Portugal to capture investmentā€

The Chega leader argued that this regime ā€œit exists in the vast majority of the countries of the European Unionā€ and ā€œit has been a way for Portugal to capture investmentā€ .

What garrett says:

Iā€™m concerned chega might do well (the racist and more relevantly for ARI applicants anti immigrant party)

Iā€™m not endorsing Chega. Iā€™m merely pointing out that garrett is once again presenting ā€œalternative factsā€.

3 Likes

They are fundamentally a populist party is my understanding. I donā€™t think they fight hard for investor immigrants given their hate for non investor immigrants and how many of them are Chinese or Indian etc

Iā€™d hope people here generally find their racist populist rhetoric bad too

But perhaps Iā€™m wrong

When have I posted ā€œalternative factsā€ as you say?

I asked my lawyers, CG, on Tuesday about the budget legislation that will disband the NHR scheme and he told me there was a preliminary vote on it in the parliament at the end of October. A full debate and vote was due at the end of November but events immediately following my discussion have clearly disrupted that budget debate and vote.

The important takeaway to this point that remains relevant is that I was told the budget vote was passed. The ruling party majority government voted in favour. Every other party voted against it. This is what I was told happened by my immigration and tax lawyers. If that is the case, if every other party voted against the budget legislation that removes the NHR scheme, then it bodes more positively for our immediate future than earlier in the week.

We await the meeting with the president later this week to see what will happen but as it stands right now there is a more positive view that we donā€™t have to rush any NHR moves before December 31 than earlier in the week.

1 Like

All sorts of scenarios in this article, including this one I donā€™t care for:

Rebelo de Sousa could ask Costa to stay on as caretaker until his proposed 2024 budget is passed at the end of the month and dissolve parliament afterward.

1 Like

Lithium/ hydrogen arrests: jailed five to appear before judge - Portugal Resident

1 Like

Good article @emailtoasifali

If true these allegations are hugeā€¦ ā€œquestions that were raised years ago by investigative journalistsā€™ whose programme was shut downā€ and ā€œthe prime ministerā€™s official residence being used for meetings in which favours were sought and granted.ā€

At the same time, Iā€™m impressed to see a functioning democracy at work here (perhaps a bit late), and people being held accountable. Perhaps the UK could learn a few things?

1 Like

When one shares oneā€™s concerns or worries, others here have called it ā€œFUDā€ in the past.

Thatā€™s not an issue of FUD, but rather he was fact checked. Thereā€™s a difference.

1 Like

The resignation of the PM could have some far ranging implications. Iā€™ve read some articles saying that he might stay on temporarily, but that seems unlikely.

The President needs to weigh holding a new election that would risk minority parties taking on disproportionate influence, or appointing a new PM that would risk upsetting the democratic election process. I assume that he will call a new election but admittedly I am usually wrong about these types of things.

Of the outstanding issues:

1. NHR.
  2. Lisbon Airport decision
  3. TAP sale

All of these things likely will remain in limbo at a time when the government needs to move forward after years of stagnation. I suppose a new airport in 2045 isnā€™t out of the question now.