Portugal temporary stay visa, whilst waiting for golden visa?

Like quite a few folks on this forum, we’ve applied for GV, but stuck in limbo, with no idea how long SEF is going to take for any of the steps. Could be 3 months, or 18. But we’d like to move to PT asap.

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge about the “temporary stay” visa, and if its even worth thinking about trying to get one of those, whilst we wait for the GV visa to come through?

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Why go for the golden Visa instead of d7 if you want to live there?

Not sure if definitely want to live there full time all year round for all 5 years…

1 Like

Very reasonable, just asking to make sure you considered it and get some more info for more knowledgeable people to chime in

Thanks Garret.

2 Likes

when looking for extension of stay in Portugal, i find below info, hope it helps:- about stay here after end of June 2022.

Update of COVID-19 measures: Acceptance of expired documents - NoticiaDetalhe - ACM.

3 Likes

Thank you for this.

Do you have any info on what documentation is acceptable to SEF to use when trying to use this regulation? I.e when at the border?

1 Like

Hi Nik! Did you end up going this route? We are considering the same.

1 Like

No, sorry - just ultimately all seemed not doable .

1 Like

Did you ever get your GVs?

December 21 submission, still waiting for pre-approval…

That is awful! We just submitted last December and absolutely can’t wait that long. Ugh.

This thread hasn’t been updated for awhile. Does anyone know if the visa/residency extension covers people still waiting for pre-approval, and are able to enter and stay in Portugal on a valid Schengen visa, but will expired before 30 June 2024 ?

I believe waiting for pre-approval is a grey area. Well technically it’s all a grey area but post-biometrics is the strongest case. Supposedly after pre-approval there is some evidence that SEF/AIMA considers you okay.

What the law actually says in Portuguese is that you’re regular in immigration status if you “have pending business before SEF”. Before you have pre-approval I believe it’s sort of undefined as to whether or not you have pending business, or whether the pre-approval itself is the start of that timeline.

At any rate, nobody is going to hunt you down and deport you, but I would consult a lawyer as to the implications of being there before pre-approval.

1 Like