Portugese Learning Tips/Resources for A2 Language Requirement

I took 4-5 weeks of classes at Lusa last summer and will be taking more this summer (the intensive group classes). I very much enjoyed them.

I would say, however, that while they teach you the materials for the A1-A2, etc levels, you have only the one week to absorb the material and move on to the next level. Many students ended up dropping back or out all together because they couldnā€™t keep up. Further, you do not get an awful lot of chance to speak (depending on class size) nor do you get a lot of practice with listening to dialogs. These are both large aspects of the test. As others have pointed out, even if you learned the materials, speaking it and understanding spoken Portuguese are the most difficult aspects for most and take a lot of practice. While not impossible to take and pass the test after a few weeks of classes, I think that very few could manage that.

Since last summer, I have been using PracticePortuguese and taking once a week classes with a tutor through Preply and feel confident enough to try the test this summer (July 20).

One last practical problem is that they only offer the test about once a month so scheduling a test in tandem with your classes is kind of tough.

Best of luck to everyone!

3 Likes

You can also take the CIPLE test in many countries outside Portugal - I heard itā€™s easier to pass those than the tests in Portugal!

3 Likes

We took the test on May 18 as well. The listening was a horror and unlike any practice exam. The two women doing the viva were very friendly and helpful but the whole thing is taped and graded eslsewhere.

It is not easy and my French is ok - prob B1-B2. I can read the newspaper and translations of Simenon ok (found some stuff I had not read) and can speak - understanding the tapes - el zero.

We took 80 hours of private classes in 4 weeks. Have rebooked for 60 hours of conversation starting Jul 15 to retake the test on 14 Oct.

Yo ho ho and a bottle of aguardente.

2 Likes

Not sure if this question has been asked for.
Just wondering how long do the test results last for, is thier an expiry date?

my understanding is you get your results about two months after test and that it does not expire.

3 Likes

My wife did 4 hours a day for a total of 84 hours. It was not enough to pass and she has good French.

I did a 30 hour course some years ago, read the newspaper most days and did the 84 hours with her. I have very good French (B1-B2) and A1 Italian and I barely squeaked through.

1 Like

Like all tests, there are strategies for putting points on the board.

You know there will be a request to introduce yourself, so practice a canned introduction: your name, age, marital status, where you live, and so on. Thatā€™s two or three points.

You know you will be given a picture and asked to make up a story, so use the politicianā€™s trick of giving the answer you want regardless of the question. If you have a picture of a family at the grocery store, the story can be that they are going on a picnic and then segue into whether they are going by car or train or bus and what time they will arrive, and so on. I know someone who segued from the grocery store to telling the kids the parents were getting divorced! Make up four or five little stories, practice them, and transition into one of them as soon as you can. Ten points.

You know you will be given ten little clips to match to one of 15 situations, so listen for cues: one of them might be a flower shop, one will be a clothes shop or a shoe shop, one will be a taxi (that one is easy). One will be asking for directions. Your odds go up as you go.

Pair up with someone, and register at the exact same moment for the test, with a view to getting consecutive numbers. Now you have a 50% chance of your dialog being with that person, and practice a few scenarios. Planning a party would be one, so you want the words for cake, clown, candles, balloons.

Finally, know the book cold. Everything is in there. No politics, math, science, history; just everyday interactions.

12 Likes

Question:

Is there a way for my wife to get a passport without A2 exam if I get a Portuguese passport.

No GV crap as she can get a long term visa in any EU country under Section 10 as a spouse of an EU citizen. But she would not want to devolve to 180 days a year when I croak as the kid lives in the EU.

Thx

Thank you.

2 Likes

Hello Bharat, take a look at the requirements for your question below:

2 Likes

@elorimerlogin , great information. Could you elaborate on which ā€˜bookā€™ to know cold?

Thank you.

Posted above on April 18

1 Like

Thx a ton!

I am experimenting with using Chat GPT Voice to learn the speaking and listening part. Basically it involves talking in Portuguese and trying to have the GPT voice understand you and convert to text and translate.
The technology is new obviously and evolving quickly.

I suggest everyone share their tips here with using AI. I donā€™t think it will be long before a company seizes on this and creates a more refined process to learn languages using this technology. It basically is like having a Portuguese friend 24/7 to practice with you. To be clear, there are ways to sort of do this now which is what I am experimenting with. I have not found a perfect solution yet.

I found these books only partially helpful. Unfortunately its all in Portuguese so as a beginner you donā€™t really understand what you are being asked, and when you do complete an exercise its not so obvious if you succeeded or not, especially with creating written answers to questions.

I follow you. My point is if you know anaā€™s books, however you got there, you should pass, and if you donā€™t understand them, you need to study more.

3 Likes

Take a look at langotalk

@tkrunning please ban @nikessng for posting malware websites.

langotalk.com - SiteCheck (sucuri.net)

Oops, posted url from memory. Itā€™s actually langotalk.io - which is a gpt4 based language product Iā€™ve been using.

Sorry for the bad link!!

1 Like

Accidents happen. Iā€™ve edited the first link, too, so no one accidentally clicks it.

@nikessng How is Langotalk for European Portuguese? In their signup flow it seems thereā€™s only Brazilian available (at least thereā€™s the Brazilian flag). Since itā€™s ChatGPT based, can you just tell it which version to use?

Edit: Doesnā€™t seem to work that wellā€¦

1 Like