Portuguese Citizenship application after 5 years of Golden Visa

@susanayang:
Can you please share the name of the law firm or contact details of the lawyers who got citizenship right after completion of five years of golden visa without renewal for the sixth year (option four). I heard you must have a valid card while applying for citizenship.

1 Like

Can you link to these articles? I would love to read them myself

I suspect this may be the one:

But then at The Path to Portuguese Citizenship | Golden Visa Portugal La Vida, an intermediary, says:

“A recent media report suggested that some Golden Visa investors are being rejected for citizenship, for not holding sufficient ties with Portugal, but this is not the case. Having checked with several of our legal advisors we can confirm that Portugal’s nationality law does not require applicants to establish connections to the country and there is no stipulation in the legislation that allows the Portuguese authorities to dispute a Citizenship application based on a lack of connections or ties to Portugal when someone applies for Citizenship by Naturalization. Our legal partners have successfully processed several hundred Citizenship applications for Golden Visa holders and this has never been an issue or caused a rejection. In general, the main reasons one would not be approved for Citizenship is for obvious reasons such as having a criminal record, being dishonest on the application or not providing the correct documentation.”

3 Likes

I have several friends who went through this recently, e.g. getting citizenship last year. Was around 2 years for all of them.

10 Likes

It is hard to trust someone (goldenvisas.com) when they have a vested interest in continuing the flow of ARI applications. They might be right, but they definitely want people to believe they will get citizenship so that they keep applying.

3 Likes

Ohbee, there are documented accounts from posters on this site that people have in the past and are still getting citizenship, so your doubt creating has no foundation. You need to stop when someone states they have friends, who got citizenship because there is the positive case. Until you have evidence the government is not doing it now, you are just defeating the goal of these forums. Help, support, education, action.

That fact that you need to prove ties is rather reasonable of Portugal. If not, Portugal is proving the EU’s point of being a country that will sell citizenship.

7 Likes

Yes but it would be nice if the concept of ties were more objective. As it is subjective, you can go through the whole process only be refused because they just don’t like GV holders anymore, and they can justify it as “lack of ties”.

Is learning Portuguese not a tie? I wasn’t born in Brazil, I’m not a native speaker of any romance language, so I am already dedicating significant time daily to studying Portuguese!

3 Likes

If you have learned the language, joined groups, made Portuguese friends who will vouch for your involvement even if the first person denies you, any court will eventually see you have clear ties to Portugal. Especially if you have friends who are Portuguese citizens who will stand up for you, what better example of a tie of a longstanding tie. If you do not want the hassle, then take the PR route.

They are the nicest, most welcoming people I have ever met and have an incredible story they want to tell about their history. Maybe I am having a different experience in the North around Braga. You should not just learn the language and expect citizenship, you should do more to integrate to show ties. That is why the EU is so upset and wants RBI’s stopped.

2 Likes

Also 0066e7240086a118ad62, show me where everything in your country is completely black and white, locked down and completed documented. Welcome to immigration.

1 Like

People seem pretty worried about posters pretending to be people they arent, so I think it is wise to consider one’s news sources. And I didnt say nobody is getting citizenship.

If you heard from your cousin’s uncle’s brother who works at Nintendo that people are getting citizenship, great.

1 Like

Then follow-up with the person who said they are getting citizenship to have them provide details so you can document that for your legal case you may have to make for yourself. It may help others. Not questioning everything written as false is better approach. I like to think my glass is half full and continue to fill it up.

You are assuming good faith which I would have too in the past but given the prime ministers’ proposals I am not sure anymore.

If the EU tells Portugal to not grant citizenship to GV holders and PT wishes to comply, they can just say, oh this rich money laundering foreigner used their dirty money to bribe a citizen to write them a support letter, but they didn’t live in PT majority of the time, they didn’t pay enough PT taxes, etc. Citizenship denied!

2 Likes

Have a wonderful life.

1 Like

Life has been pretty good to me, which is why I was in a position to even consider the GV in the first place.

I just think it’s important to be realistic that the GV is getting a lot of bad press, and especially for people trying to squeeze into the GV at the last moment, it’s potentially not going to be worth it. I think @ohbee for example would have been much better off spending 175K on the HQA rather than donating rather more than that for a GV!

5 Likes

Thanks, and threads later mention people actually getting citizenship. As far as I understand and plse correct me. GV will give the residency requirement to apply for citizenship , then comes the connection which I understand was a requirement a few years back but waved off and currently on citizenship requirement website is not me mentioned any more.

So is my understanding clear that as things stand today GV, clean record , level A2 is sufficient or no based on current “ legal “ requirement .

Appreciate all sorts of substantiated feedback.

3 Likes

Yes, the nationality law changed in March 2022, eliminated the subjective requirement for ties; ties are assumed by default given legal residence and lanugage. The public prosecutor can file a lawsuit within a year of the date of registration of acquisition of the nationality to object on grounds of an ineffective connection.

See @sm33 's summary of the change for details Portuguese Citizenship application after 5 years of Golden Visa - #115 by sm33

@portunhol: earlier you had mentioned friends whose citizenship applications were stuck in limbo because some agency was demanding non-existent documents. Are these the same people who have now got citizenship - if so it would be great news.

7 Likes

The two friends I had mentioned in that post did finally get naturalized, yes! Eventually their lawyer was able to get their applications through, which is great to see, if frustrating.

4 Likes

Is that a year after the application, or a year after it’s approved?

3 Likes

Year after it’s approved is my reading.
(google translate)

3 Likes

“Acquisition of Portuguese nationality as a result of will” refers to categories like minors applying for citizenship by declaration after a parent naturalized.

That category doesn’t include adults who naturalized themselves.

4 Likes