Tax for capital gains in Portugal for non-resident

Hi, I am new to this community. Thanks a lot for all the great information. I am in the process of applying for the Portugal GV. I do not live in Portugal and will not move there in the next few years. I have a bank account in Portugal through which I can make some investment in Portugal/European stocks. Do I need to pay capital gains for my stock market investment to Portuguese tax authorities? Thank you in advance for you help!

Hello Joshua,

Could you please share how did you open a bank account in Portugal? Did you live there previously? Can you suggest how to open a bank account there without living in Portugal?

I created a bank account in the process of GV application. I suppose my lawyer or/and tax representative helped me.

Oh. Ok. Thanks.

Hi Jackson, I am also now in the GV process, would you please share how much normally have to pay the lawyer for a bank opening. Cheers

I don’t know how much for bank opening only.

I paid for the whole GV application package. about 15k euro or sth. there is a lawyer comparison table here

Portugal GV Fund Comparison? - #134 by william.reichert

good luck!

I have some extra EUR in account in Wise (about 25k EUR). Unfortunately Wise charges me a fee to hold EUR. Is there somewhere I can invest this for 1 year to earn some nominal interest and avoid the negative interest rates at Wise? I am not a EU tax resident in any country and I don’t want to have to make complicated tax calculations, file tax forms or payments in EU country. Because the cost of this will probably outweigh the benefit of earning nominal interest. Any ideas?