The Ultimate Tax Guide for American Nomads & Expats (2024) – Nomad Gate

The US is the only country in the world (along with Eritrea) to tax citizens and green card holders no matter how long they live outside the United States. The US tax code is also one of the most complex in the world.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at

The US is the main country on the planet (alongside Eritrea) to tax citizens and green card holders regardless of to what extent they live outside the United States. The US tax code is likewise a standout amongst the most complex on the planet. You do need to record your tax return back in the US. Regardless of whether you don’t profit. Regardless of whether you win your salary while you are in remote nations. Many numbers and tax ideas, as remote salary exclusion, get tossed around that make it seem like you don’t have to record. In any case, the fiend is in how these numbers and ideas apply.

I am trying to figure out which form I need to give my US client. I am a US citizen with a newly started LDA in Portugal. My clients are based in the US. The first one I’ve billed is asking me to fill out a tax form so that they can figure out any withholding or reporting. Does anyone have experience with this? Do you know how to fill out this form or someone who can show me?

Also which form is it exactly that I need?

That depends
here some more information

Do not forget to file your Taxes in the US as well

W-8 BEN-E, since you’re invoicing then from a foreign entity. See more here: About Form W-8 BEN-E, Certificate of Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting (Entities) | Internal Revenue Service

So the tax advisor of my customer said to do a W-9 so that’s what I’m going to do for now. I think it’s because I am a US citizen and the work is being performed remotely in Portugal. It’s a bit of a weird situation. Thanks for everyone’s help.

1 Like

Replying to my own post. A separate tax person who does a lot of “cross-border” work agrees with you, Thomas, that it should be the W8-BEN-E.

1 Like

Hi, if I just moved (<6 mos) but will be living abroad indefinitely in the future, what is the best way to file and maintain eligibility for FEIE? Should I file for an extension and then file with FEIE physical test in October or…?

Whats the best free file software to use for more complex returns including self employment and rental income, that you can use from abroad (outside the US)? Are there any?

how can I create a topic?

I still think CRA (Canada) is worse than IRS. They really think they own you in serfdom. While you do not have to renounce citizenship to avoid taxation, you have to beg your freedom from the CRA when you leave otherwise you are deemed resident and pay taxes on world income. The rules for residency is literally as they please. If you are given your freedom, your assets/house/etc are taxed on exit in a “deemed disposition” at market value. And they have the so-called “grand avoidance rule”/GAR empowering them to still tax you if they see fit. US might be complex but rules, as complex as might be, are clear.

1 Like

I am eligible to claim FEIE. know I cannot make IRA contributions while claiming FEIE, but what about 401k? Thanks for your help!