I would say that you are very, very close to too late, and that many others in your shoes would be too late, but seeing some of your other posts around the forum, you have some good things going for you:
- You already have an IBKR account which will simplify money transfer;
- You aren’t applying for children, which would require more documents (this isn’t as time urgent, though, see below wrt marriage license);
- You have your funds already consolidated and have the total amount ready.
You might have the following going for you:
- You have a lawyer?
- You are already in the process of setting up your PT bank account?
- You have picked out a fund/investment?
And the following could cause delays if you haven’t done them already:
- Have you done the background check and submitted it for apostille?
- Do you have an apostilled marriage license ready for your spouse (you can apply for the GV before the 12/31 deadline and then very likely add her under family reunification later, but you might feel better if you get this all submitted before 2022)?
The reason that I ask these questions is that the pinch points are:
Choosing and going through due diligence for your investment choice. We had to submit a lot of documents for this, and get our PT lawyer to witness our signatures, and then send everything to PT (this was done simultaneously with the bank account).
Opening the right type of FATCA-compliant bank account in PT. We are one of the rare birds with Atlantico, and I feel like we have a great group of people on our team, but this is still taking forever. We started our Atlantico “journey” on Oct. 8, got all of the documents sent to us electronically on Oct. 14 (our turnaround was pretty much immediate), signed them with the lawyer witnessing on Oct. 20 and sent them back 2-day mail to PT, and just received our account opening last Thursday (and still don’t have electronic access to the accounts).
Once we have the electronic access, we can send some money from the B.A. account to IBKR, then the total investment amount back from IBKR to B.A., then our chosen fund does the capital call, and then more time passes until the shares are purchased, and we have the final documents we need for the SEF app.
Our FBI background checks took ~2 wks from requesting to getting back the apostille. This is VERY fast. Some places seem to be able to get some through faster, but 3 weeks is the norm.
Getting the proper version of your marriage license and getting it apostilled is heavily dependent on what state you were in when you got married, what state you are in now (as in, can you drive somewhere to do this, or do you need to pay someone to do it for you), and the covid-era procedures of the relevant state. We were able to turn ours around within a week. For comparison, for our kids’ BCs, that total time took 2.5 weeks (different state), so this is highly variable.
I don’t know if this will help you or not, but just some details to round things out for you beyond the standard published timeline!