👋 What country are you from that participated in the Golden Visa Portugal program and what is your goal?

i am from iran and recently applied for golden visa pt but worried about future when i see hear every body that long time is waiting to get gv

USA, a backup plan in case things get weirder here.

It’ll be nice to spend winters in Portugal too though, where we live in the USA it is miserable in winter

The golden visa is slow but there’s no other option for such low requirements for residency and citizenship in the eu

If you want alternatives, less powerful but still good are Argentina and Costa Rica.

5 Likes

UK. Brexit broke my heart. :cry:

7 Likes

As an American family, we’ve recently embraced the idea of having a backup plan, especially as things seem to be changing in the country. However, we see this as an opportunity for our children and future grandchildren, giving them the freedom to shape their lives.

An additional advantage is that it encourages us to explore Europe and learn a new language together. Despite being a couple of years away from obtaining residency cards, we’ve already embarked on one unforgettable journey as a family.

3 Likes

USA / EU passport.

2 Likes

very good idea

1 Like

i am glad to see you

Ditto to a lot of what’s been said. PlanB, US/EU passport.

But also a strong sense of bucket list thing. I never had the chance to live overseas as a younger adult. So, for me, there’s a now or never aspect that outweighs the planb aspect.

4 Likes

Syria, enough said :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

USA.

Backup plan in case we get another Jan 6.

5 Likes

China,for the passport

2 Likes

really !every body in all of the world has american dream it is surprised me that americans get eu passport for support and back up any way be sussessful

the grass is always greener…

2 Likes

Speaking as a US citizen, I think the “backup plan if the US blows up” is pretty overblown. If the US blows up, we have lots of other issues. That being said, as someone who was living abroad during Covid, it was very painfully obvious to us the difference between being a citizen and not being a citizen of a country, and having the ability to live in Europe as a citizen is appealing to us. Whether we ever use that option is currently an unknown to us :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I’m concerned about general democratic backsliding in the USA but it’s a secondary or long term reason

More immediately, it’s rare to be able to get a passport in the eu easily and so I jumped at the chance

1 Like

The reasons I see given by Americans on various forums are - so we don’t have to worry our children will get shot whilst at school, and healthcare.

3 Likes

The gun thing is reasonable. Healthcare, I think is a bit silly. The USA has a frustratingly bureaucratic system that is expensive, but golden visa investors are rich. They can afford it. I don’t think it’s necessarily a strict upgrade, but it is a good fallback for sure

3 Likes

Being able to afford it, and having to pay for it, are two different things. Those healthcare premiums would be better spent on travel!

2 Likes

Not all GV investors are rich though.l, many may be middle to “upper middle” but with savings. And for those from expensive areas like NYC, San Francisco & LA the investment and real estate requirements may be less than a 1 bedroom apartment in a nice neighborhood.

3 Likes

Plus add to that quality education at lower costs in Portugal and Europe in general (in NYC, the best public schools tend to be in the most expensive neighborhoods and the private schools cost more than many colleges). And for certain minority groups the political situation is challenging.

1 Like