US Banks that accept international transfer via SWIFT code

I’m looking for a US bank that will accept international funds via a SWIFT code (its own SWIFT code, not via an intermediary bank). It’s coming from a currency/country that isn’t supported on TransferWise. The banks I’ve seen recommended for expats (CapitalOne, Schwab) don’t accept foreign wires.

The first result on Google is USbank.com.

https://answers.usbank.com/answers/s/article/What-is-the-SWIFT-code-that-I-need-for-an-international-wire-transfer

Il y a la liste des codes SWIFT:

1 Like

Thanks for that! However, since it’s hundreds of banks it doesn’t help narrow down. :slight_smile: The banks I’ve already checked, that don’t accept incoming international funds, are included on that list … so I’m looking more for personal experience with making successful transfers.

Aha! I suspect including “US bank” in a google search would bring them right up the list. :slight_smile: My searches must have been too complex because I didn’t find that info. Thank you

Someone else recommended to me Bank Of America.

The two banks I work with for international incoming wire transfers in the US are Chase and HSBC, especially the latter, which I have used many times. One important detail to bare in mind when doing SWIFT transfers is to opt for paying all the charges as the sender and not share them or ask the receiver to pay them. Whenever I did either of the last two I always ended up paying more for the transfers.

In my experience, Bank of America does not like foreign activity. They are suspicious of everything.

I think you might be a bit confused with wire terms etc.

“Foreign wires” often means foreign currency wires, not wires from other countries.
Schwab certainly accept wires from other countries, and also in other currencies.
Most bigger banks can receive USD wire transfer from other countries to US banks even if they don’t have a SWIFT code, the sending bank use the routing/fedwire number instead. However this will only work for USD wires, not other currency.

If you need to send the wire in foreign currency then you need to check what banks can support that, however it’s almost always better to ask the sending bank to change to USD before sending the wire.

Also, having it’s own SWIFT code doesn’t mean that they can accept foreign currency wires. SWIFT code is just an address.

Oh, I just saw this is a very old thread…

1 Like

Thanks for your reply even though it was an old thread.

I have successfully sent money using routing numbers, but in our current country & bank the online banking system doesn’t have a space for routing number and I don’t trust it to go through properly with anything nonstandard (according to their system) and neither does the bank manager!

I opened an account online with Schwab but didn’t figure out how to send money to it… possibly I searched for the wrong terms as you’ve suggested. I was able to open an account with US Bank while in state, and it’s been working well.