Wait time now counts toward 5 year residency?

The whole point of the GV is for PT to make money, let’s not forget that. It is very hard to imagine them intentionally doing anything that reduces how much they make.

We are their captives, after all. We have zero leverage. They can do whatever they want to us, so why would they choose to save us (and cost them) money?

Feels like I am smoking copium when I start to think “maybe my first three years of waiting will count”.

Also given that you resubmit all your paperwork at biometrics (right?) it is logical that the initial application is merely an expression of interest and your real application is filed at biometrics.

And yet, your EOI receives “pre-approval”, indicating you have applied for something with it

This is quite an absurd statement given what we witnessed in the last 72 hours from parliament. All the voices (some anonymous posters) trying to undermine what otherwise seems to be a positive development won’t affect my opinion of the situation. While it seems true that no one cares about ARI applicants , there is a general supportive tailwind for immigrants in general and ARI can get caught up in the general positive momentum from time to time.

3 Likes

I think we’re in a situation where the exact, final interpretation of the law as it has been drafted has some ambiguity as far as its application to GV is concerned. The law wasn’t specifically drafted to address the long waits that GV applicants are facing, so this isn’t surprising. We might end up being beneficiaries - let’s wait and see.

When the PT government published their intent in early February 2023 to end the programme, some posters on NG (some of whom were at times very negative) were sure the law would be applied retrospectively (it wasn’t). Think of it this way - at the very minimum, the new law doesn’t adversely harm anyone’s progress to date - it only has the potential to reduce the wait to citizenship if the application date on the SEF/AIMA platform turns out to be the date that is considered as the residency start time.

2 Likes

Being cautiously realistic isn’t “trying to undermine” anything. I 100% hope you’re right. But assuming this is totally great for ARI is far more dangerous IMO. False hope is worse than realistic pessimism, even if the latter eventually proves incorrect.

I love that PT gives us so many opportunities to speculate wildly (but only the theories matching the desired outcome are welcome.)

“What if we never have to renew before citizenship” is a fun but unlikely thought experiment.

And all I want is to be wrong.

1 Like

:yawning_face:

2 Likes

My 2 cents
RESIDENCY BY INVESTMENT
The whole deal is about WE invest money and PT grants us RP.
Given that WE have spent the money BEFORE the very initial online application, it is only fair that the time T0 starts at the online application. Otherwise I don’t see how this amendment will actually mitigate the delays, and entierly missing the point of the amendment.

2 Likes

I agree with this interpretation, just with a small clarifying point that it would most likely be the date of the initial DUC payment for the ‘analysis’ of the application.
Prime Legal provide some more detailed rationale for the same interpretation, and I have cross-checked this with my own DUC receipt paper, which indeed quotes ‘Residence title’ i.e. exactly the wording used in the new law.

3 Likes

I would agree with this too, as we in fact have yet another supporting evidence here in the form of the famous Despacho n.Âș 12870-C/2021 allowing legal presence in PT for anyone who “applied” before 1/1/2022. And the Despacho further clarifies what is considered “applied”, including online applications.

UPD: Oops, I did not see that @igor.queensu already posted the same comment about the Despacho! Great minds think alike I guess :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I had understood that the granting of citizenship after five years was not automatic–that in addition to the language test you needed to demonstrate some connection to PT. So while the running of the five year period is up for a change, even beyond the 7/14 day requirement for renewal you would need to some permanent relationship. Some years ago our lawyer had said that it would be appropriate in the run-up to the application for citizenship we should have a long term lease, long term presence, records with the health system, tax residency, atestado and what not. Maybe even going to church.

So successfully getting citizenship without spending time in PT would be a stretch.

1 Like

I agree with this also. But whether the relevant date is the initial application or DUC payment for analysis is largely irrelevant to most people because the spread is only a few weeks at most.

2 Likes

This may be another bump as well that is not applicable to the “normal” visas. Ideally, we would have had five years of the Golden Visa cards + our investment to prove ties to Portugal. Now, if they do count based on application date, do they count that as sufficient ties to Portugal? The counterpoint is, of course, that they still have had our investment for five years, even without the cards, which hopefully represents the same level of ties to the country.

I think what we have seen is that with all of the criticism of Portugal’s changes (Abrupt end of NHR, Long Processing times), they do eventually try to make it right (NHR transition scheme, this law change). It’s just that the GV is such a unique beast any specifics to clarify its position are overlooked in the law and subject to ambiguity which makes us nervous when decisions are made at a Judge/Bureaucrat level.

2 Likes

It’s a chicken and egg problem, because without the residence cards you could not really have those longer term ties – you could not spend more than 90 days there, could not (I assume) get a longer term lease, etc.

THIS exactly!!

I think everyone needs to separate the VISA process from the CITIZENSHIP process. Obviously those are interrelated but the counting of the 5 years for citizenship (which is at question with this change and shaves 20 months off the timeline for me! WIN!) now starts probably when you paid your initial fee (for me, Dec 2020) instead of when your card was issued (for me July 2022). The residency requirement is not an issue here. All that matters is the time that you were legally considered a resident - and that clock now starts with the payment (probably). The visa residency requirement is a separate issue and is and likely will still be 14 days in 2 years starting from when your card was ISSUED. We will see what the lawyers formally say but that’s how I would interpret it.

This is true. I always forget that it is a different organization that processes citizenship and they are only interested in the sheet that AIMI provides that says “Yes they have been a resident for 5 years.” They may also look at other ties (not sure on the details here), but that 5 year residency requirement AIMI provides should now be satisfied due to this law change regardless of if we have had the cards for those 5 years or not.

1 Like

My point: I never understood that the GV + investment was enough for citizenship.

This is precisely correct. And welcome back Larry. It’s been awhile.

1 Like

The post of @Mr.E who has applied for citizenship (Portuguese Citizenship application after 5 years of Golden Visa - #226 by Mr.E) gives recent data on what was required for his application for proving connection. The requirement is minimal, at least for adults.

The citizenship law was amended in mid-April 2022: https://dre.pt/dre/legislacao-consolidada/decreto-lei/2006-34442175-180718705
See also an analysis of the change by sm33 Portuguese Citizenship application after 5 years of Golden Visa - #115 by sm33

5 Likes

Wouldn’t daily, addictive and uninterrupted reading of this blog be sufficient proof to demonstrate interest and links with Portugal?

22 Likes

NIF, meaning tax residency
Bank account
Utente.

All being more than GV+investment.