What type of visa do I need to work in Italy?

I signed up for the website workaway and found this amazing opportunity to live on an Italian vineyard and work there. They will give me room and board and pay 200 Euros per week. I am not doing this for the money, I want the experience. What type of visa will I need and how do I proceed to get it? Do I get it before I leave? That would mean a trip to San Francisco or would I get it after I arrive? I will have travel health insurance and can show that I can support myself and do not need any support from the Italian government.

I have family in Germany and my father was born in Berlin— his mother was American and her husband, my grandfather was German. Would it be easier to get a work visa in Germany and then work in Italy as from what I read I think it doesn’t matter what European country to get it in as they all share the same agreement???

Any information would be helpful!!
Thank you,

Americans can stay in the Schengen Area for a maximum of 90 days within a 180 day period. Please keep in mind that: The date of entry is considered as the first day of stay. The date of exit is considered as the last day of stay.

This is for tourism and the easy thing you can do. Can you get German citizenship through your family? I have Mexican friends who are not Spanish citizens because of their grandparents.