Which Latin American country is best for a nomad?

Hi NomadGate Community! I am a 22-year-old aspiring nomad from the United States. I recently got my first job and will be working remotely for the foreseeable future (beyond Covid). Because the work I do pertains to Latin America, I would like to relocate and be based out of a country in the region. I lived in Buenos Aires for a year through Uni and have traveled South America extensively so I am not new to some of the challenges living in LatAm may pose. I speak Spanish and am very interested in learning Portuguese. I would be going to live in the country for 2-5 years, after that who knows! However, I would be curious about obtaining citizenship in the country. I have my eyes on Brazil or Mexico but I am open to considering other places.

Has anybody moved to Latin America and can recommend one country over another? Where in the region has the lowest tax rates? Does anybody have advice on which visas would be most suitable for my situation? Is there a version of the Portuguese Golden Visa in a LatAm country?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

2 Likes

Hello Carmen and welcome to the community.

I’m excited and very happy from reading your post. At the age of 22, I like that you are thinking and planning the way you are. Please keep this up as you will be extremely well established and successful by the time you are 30.

Please find below some links to websites that will give you some details to the questions you asked and some to widen your options.

Educate yourself about “Financial Peace University”- Dave Ramsey, The 50:20:30 Rule, The 4-Hour Work Week Workweek - Timothy Ferriss. Never spend any money without making a budget or it being as an allowed part of your budget (remember that you can make a budget to include your fun).

Congratulations on the new job and enjoy the process and journey of planning your future in Latin America.

Regards,

Akan

3 Likes

Akan,

I am incredibly grateful for these useful links and wonderful advice! The 50:20:30 rule is very intriguing and something I will be looking into. This was exactly what I was looking for so thank you so much for taking the time to write this out for me, it is very encouraging.

Best,
Carmen

1 Like