Anyone worked in Finland

Hi,

A few people have said Finland is a great quality of life. Since its become somewhat of a Tech Hub, I just wondered if anyone has ever been.
The weather is indeed harsh, and not cheap by all accounts. However, from what I hear its offset by the social cohesion, and good quality of life. Also, the Politically its stable and doesn’t indulge in the marxist ideologies that has infested the west.

Well rbairoid - starting from your last comment - they are already from the left ! They are are a ‘fixed’ society with no competition - there is no Tesco, no Carrefour, no Geant, no Aldi. There are a few Lidl’s but of course have no booze, as this you MUST buy from the Government shop with exorbitantly high taxes. The supermarkets are S market and K market and few others that push Finnish products. Finns are by nature quiet rather malleable even I would say guillible people and their Government tells them that all Finnish goods are better and they, a little like sheep, buy Finnish tomatoes at 250 Euros a kilo (yes I am exaggerating), because they actually believe their politicians. My mother-in-law often tells me that Finnish strawberries are the best and my sister-in-law the same for Finnish chocolate.
Now lets move to Helsinki airport — its a bit like Doha, you see more or less only one airline, there is No Ryanair, No Easyjet, No Swissair, No Air France and on and on. They make codeshares with the other airlines to fly only Finnair aircraft on all these Euro routes and at very expensive fares. They would never allow Ryanair to gain a foothold in Helsinki as they would kill Finnair in one year.
Now lets talk about the weather, its absolutely awful. Their summer started about two weeks ago, it snowed in Helsinki in May! It will last another 5 weeks maximum. By 1st week of August already the nights have a chill about them, and winter rushes in again.
Lets see - other qualities of life, eating out in a decent restaurant requires you take out a bank loan, buying a bottle of wine out also requires substantial cash preparation in advance. The Police are draconian, and the speeding fines are based on your salary, so they will screw you.
So apart from all this, its a very nice country where everybody drives around at 1 or 2km below the speed limit and will bore you to tears. They have no sport apart from ice hockey and winter sports so football, rugby, cricket, tennis, horse racing, F1,etc etc they have no idea what you are talking about. The world passes them by and in their ‘mushroom’ like state, they do not even notice. When they do wish to read about the world out there , they have one (govt controlled) newspaper ‘The Helsinkin Sanomat’ and nothing else with which to get a balanced view, and of course those views given within are always from the left.
I leave you with one example of how introverted they are. When the 9/11 attacks occurred and the whole world tuned in their TVs to watch this horrific momentous incident in world affairs, YLE the Finnish state TV channel continued showing various episodes of THE SIMPSONS… I kid you not.

3 Likes

Cheers for the reply. Sounds interesting. I guess it depends what you want in life. Having lived all over the world, I can say that the quiet life is good for me. Ryanair and easyjet do fly to helsinki as far as I’m aware, so that’s a lie. Been to Doha and thought it was incredibly superficial and boring.

Also, I lived in the UK which is a hyper corporatised multiculti blob. Where corporations rule, the people are mere serfs who life for work and drink themselves into oblivion at the weekend, to cope with the misery.
Regarding driving, I’m not overly keen on owning a car anyway. The weather may be an issue However. I get the feeling Finland is friendly and a nation that has pride in themselves, with social cohesion.
Saunas sound great, and I hear they are progressive in a real sense, not in a marxist sense.

rbairoid
Well I am glad I didn’t put you off by my diatribe.
You see I also have, and still do, live all over the world. I am writing this now from Riyadh.
And I am 63, not some ‘young buck’.
But my wife is Finnish, that is how I can talk with some ‘authority’. about Finland
I just find it so boring and furthermore VERY EXPENSIVE but that’s my point of view.
However I did not lie - I am right on Ryanair, they only fly to a city/town called Turku, not Helsinki.
Easyjet used to have a flight from Berlin to Helsinki I think, but I am not sure if that still operates (well hardly anything operates at the moment, but you know what I mean).
I am glad you are not keen on getting a car there because you will find cars there are some of the most expensive in Europe … AND do not think for one minute you could buy a cheap model in Germany and drive it over to Helsinki, as contrary to EU regulations, Finland does not accept that you can buy anything tax paid anywhere else in the EU and import it, like a car (this also relates to booze as well). They pick and choose which rules they like and which they don’t. That rule about cars also applies to me as a foreign citizen, and I guess would be also to you too.
Sorry, you mentioned that in the UK ‘people are mere serfs who live for work and drink themselves into oblivion at the weekend to cope with their misery’. I believe you would have a shock coming to you in Finland. They are miserable all week in a kind of Lutheran work ethic way, and then WHAM, if anyone outdrinks people from the UK, it’s Scandinavians and Finns to be precise. They are also some of the most morose people too, depressed with a high suicide rate. They drink like fish all winter because they are so depressed due to the long cold miserable winters, and then for 6 weeks (yes its a short summer) a year, they get drunk because they are so happy.
Although, with the high Income tax rates in Finland, you would also be miserable too.
So please be my guest, try living in Finland, but do your homework first.
Good luck

1 Like

Hmmm yes, well I’ll take your word for it. Sad really because I had heard really good things, that it was a sort of utopia. Perhaps not. Then again, I hated living in England to the point of chronic depression.
I had heard Finland was more in tune with the human condition. Perhaps neighbouring Estonia would be a better option.