Awaiting Pre-Approval (Stage 2)

Applied and paid: October 15, 2021
SEF Pre-approval: Feb 10, 2022

1 Like

My application was submitted 7/31/21 and I am still waiting for pre-approval. No reason given for the extreme delay.

I feel very sad for you, You should talk to your lawyer or do something, All people applied after you get the pre-approval already, maybe they forgot your application or something like this, I really donā€™t know but you have to take any action.

My application was submitted on Oct 15 2021 but I havenā€™t heard back about my pre-approval. Anyone know if thereā€™s a way to check the SEF website directly or do we just need to check with our lawyers for a status update?

I submitted mine on oct 23 2021. I got pre approval for me and my kids. But didnā€™t get pre approval for my wife yet

Applied: oct 11 2021
paid for me: October 23 2021
Paid for family: oct 27 2021
SEF Pre-approval for me and kids: Feb 18, 2022
PRe approval for wife: Feb 23

4 Likes

Applied and paid: October 25, 2021
SEF Pre-approval: Feb 21, 2022
Good luck to everyone.

1 Like

Starting to get concernedā€¦ I paid Sept 9th, 2021 but no pre-approval yet for myself or my son. My wife did get pre-approval a few weeks ago.

2 Likes

this doesnā€™t make sense. How can they pre-approve your wife and kids and not the primary applicant? Looks like exactly opposite to my situation. Iā€™ll keep my status posted when something changes. Pls do the same. Meantime, it may be worthwhile to ask your lawyer to check your application even if there is no email on it.

Just got pre approval today for me and the entire family.

Applied Oct 25 with some additional family added a couple of weeks later.

Pre Approval received Feb 21

2 Likes

According to my lawyer, my wife is pre-approved already a week ago, and I am still under consideration even though I am the primary applicant. Still hoping for good news this week.

Applied for myself: 10th Oct 2021
Added my wife: 19th Oct 2021 - she is pre-approvedā€¦

1 Like

Ash, if you have direct access, the application changes from ā€œEm anĆ”liseā€ to "Candidatura Aceiteā€. If you donā€™t have access, your lawyers can check. Since SEF are reviewing in chronological order: https://www.sef.pt/pt/pages/noticia-sef.aspx?nID=952 and some late Oct. applications now have pre-approval, regular status checks are required.

1 Like

SEF have finally removed the sentence:
NĆ£o Ć© possĆ­vel concluir a candidatura porque o tipo de investimento aguarda regulamentaĆ§Ć£o

Hopefully that is a good sign of things finally progressing?

1 Like

My wifeā€™s application was approved on 2/23. I edited my original post

2 Likes

We applied on Dec 4 (primary) 6th (me) and are still awaiting the pre-approval.

My background check ā€œexpiredā€ on Dec 4, two days before my application was submitted. My lawyer said that SEF may or may not accept it given how close the date is.

As a precaution, she had me get another background check to have ready in case they asked. But that one will expire in a month, and we have not heard from SEF within the 3 month period that she expected. Iā€™m trying to decide if itā€™s worth the expense to get yet another background check just in case.

Has anyone had a barely-expired background check? Did SEF accept it, or did you have to get a new one in order to obtain pre-approval?

Thanks!

Finally, my application has been approved as well.

Applied for myself: 10th Oct, 2021
Added my wife: 19th Oct, 2021
My pre-approval: 7th Mar, 2022
My wifeā€™s pre-approval: around 1st Feb, 2022

Onto the next wait for biometric appointments. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For pre-approval what matters is the date of your submission/payment.
If all your documents were valid (non-expired) at that time - you should expect a smooth pre-approval.

The refresh of documents is only required for the biometrics in-person appointment.

1 Like

I did not have one expired upon the date of submission, but it was expired by the time pre-approval happened. Since yours was expired on date of submission, it will likely need a new one. However, the one that you already have is likely not useful as it will also be expired by the time you are asked for one. So you really want to time the next one for approximately the time you will be pre-approved (right now seems to be running 4-5 months from date of submission).

Of course, there is also the leniency of the SEF agent reviewing the case, and if they so choose, they may let it slide since it was only a couple of days expired by the submission date. However, by law it needs to be valid as of date of submission, they can ask for a new one that is not expired.

SEF Application Main Applicant - October 25 th, 2021
SEF Application Dependents - October 27 th, 2021

SEF Pre-Approval - Februray 21th, 2021 (me and childs approved)

still my wife is waiting

1 Like

How long has it been for people to wait between pre-approval and getting biometrics appointments and then getting the residence card? Also does anyone know if the citizenship residency requirements of 5 years start counting from the day you give biometrics or receive your card?

The last posts on the thread Awaiting Biometrics (Stage 3) provide information on timing between pre-approval and a SEF appointment. So far, calendars for SEF appointments have opened up for pre-approvals prior to May 2021.
For biometrics appointments and getting the residence card, there is another thread: Awaiting Final Approval (Stage 4).
The 5 years begins from the date specified on the first card.
Since mid-December 2021, SEF has kept to its commitment to process applications in chronological order, despite delays (no budget approved yet/election Jan 2022/new government taking office end March 2022).
Since the Russian invasion, SEF personnel have been largely occupied processing temporary residence visas for the ~10,000 Ukrainian refugees who have reached Portugal - slowing down their progress on other applications.

2 Likes