Custodian bank fees on fund income

I just received a distribution from my GV investment and noticed that the custodian bank charged a 2% fee on the income and there is a VAT of another 0.45 %. Does anyone know if this is standard and or expected ?

1 Like

Which bank and which fund?

2% on the entire sum invested? Or 2% of the gain?

2% of the return … I have been since shown a price sheet and told that this is pretty standard in the Portuguese banking system

Do you get 2% of the loss in bad years as a refund? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I suspect I’m invested in the same fund and with the same bank as you – I noticed the same thing yesterday. It’s certainly expected – see page 32 on the price list here for example: Price List - Bison Bank though I can’t speak to the competitiveness vs. other banks.

I also suspect we invested in the same fund. MillenniumBCP also charged the same 2.4% commission on income (rendimentos) from fund.

1 Like

Goodness. Pages and pages of fees, plus maintenance charges. Why would anyone go near these institutions in the current era of international platforms. There ane multiple platforms for your investments and then bank using a free bank account.

Sorry can’t help here but am venting my frustration about the PT banking - some of the worst banking systems with no data protection / lousy service - but one of the highest worldwide in fees. I look at it as the price we pay for entering a cheap EU country:((

1 Like

I also suspect same fund based on timing.

I seem to have been charged a 2.5%+VAT “Dividend Fee” on the first distribution by my bank, ATLANTICO Europa, though I can’t find a mention of it in their price list.

@ccmw @rogergan68 @tom1 have you figured out if we need to file Portuguese taxes on this income ? Also, who are you using … my lawyers charge an exorbitant fee for tax representation.

My fund (EQTY) says the tax on the dividends is 10%

Sorry missed this post.
My lawyer told me I don’t need to file tax return in PT as non-tax resident in PT. However my bank MillenniumBCP has been withholding 10% of the distribution which my lawyer is claiming back from PT - no outcome yet for 2022 withholding tax deduction by the Bank.

My bank also withheld 10% which i believe I am entitled to, but my accountant is claiming otherwise. How is your lawer claiming it back? Through a tax return in PT?

I don’t know exactly how my lawyer claim back. What I know is my tax lawyer has filed something before June 2023 to claim the withholding back from AT. But of cos there is no update so far.
Regardless the outcome of the claim, there is a tax lawyer fee of close to 1000Euro. If the withholding is similar to the fee, I will of cos not engage a tax lawyer.
Which is your bank?

I have Millennium BCP and unfortunately the withholding equals just about the lawyer fee :frowning:

1 Like

Go figure, everyone involved in the ARI scam is getting an equal taste!