EU Citizen Getting GV citizenship through US spouse

We are interested working with an attorney to begin the Portugal Golden Visa, but need information…

• I am an italian citizen, so an EU citizen and not qualified to be the primary Golden Visa registrant.

• My wife is a US citizen and qualified.

If my wife signs up for the Golden Visa, purchases property, and fulfills all requirements for Portuguese citizenship…

Will I then be able to also become a Portuguese citizen by marriage?

(should add here that we’ve been married more than 3 years).

Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Yes, i dont see why not. They recently made the laws more favorable such that if you’ve been married for more than 6 years, the spouse does not need to have any connection to Portugal:

1 Like

Loheiman,
Thank you for taking time to share this information.

In regards to the new law concerning grandchildren of Portuguese nationals being able to acquire citizenship…

Is this applicable to nationals who acquire portuguese nationality via the golden visa - even though their grandchildren are already born now?

Now I will begin to search for an attorney and explore the process…

Kind regards!

That I do not know but I kinda doubt that.

PM me if you’d like a contact for an attorney who specializes in immigration and nationality law (not golden visa). I recently had an introductory call with them and found them extremely competent.

Thank you for your thoughts~!

1. Yes, my children and grandchildren are Italian. I am asking the logical question that arises from the change in law.
  2. The process for a spouse becoming Italian involves years of Italian bureaucracy - and speaking Italian at the B1 level. In real life experience, we are talking as long or longer than to complete the GV.
  3. Each nation has advantages and disadvantages and they are weighed differently by different people - despite the fact that both countries are also EU members.

Best to you
Lagos

Hi @loheiman - could you please pass me the details of your attorney? trying to get to the bottom of it, especially for minor children. Law/regulation not entirely clear if minor children automatically get the right to nationality after parent is naturalised under GV.

Thanks!

Just sent you a PM with the attorneys contact information but my recent post in this thread may be helpful. Essentially, minor children can apply for citizenship through their naturalized parents and there is language or connection to Portugal requirement: Is GV for children necessary? - #6 by loheiman

1 Like

loheiman, unfortunately, I do not see a pm.

Kind regards,
David