I recently read that Greece may raise the property transfer tax for non-EU buyers from 3% to 15% in July 2027. Is this similar to Spain’s proposed 100% tax, or should buyers rush to purchase before then?
Spain’s target was non-resident buyers not “foreign buyers” so it depends on the Greek legislation detail and possibly where the purchaser is resident.
I agree that the two proposals are quite different in scale. A rise from 3% to 15% in Greece would add a significant cost, but Spain’s proposed 100% surcharge is a very different situation. Since neither policy is final yet, I’d be cautious about making a purchase decision based only on the current headlines.
For anyone comparing costs, I also came across this tool for testing card details: Gerador de Cartão de Crédito Online e Grátis
That is a pretty big jump from 3% to 15%. I’d be cautious about rushing into a purchase until the final rules and effective date are confirmed. For anyone already considering Greece, it probably makes sense to compare the total costs now and see how much the tax change would actually affect the deal.
Exactly. Spain’s proposal targeted non-resident, non-EU buyers, so the details matter. Greece could be different depending on how the final legislation defines the affected buyers.