GV renewals: are there really no appointments?

Can anyone answer a simple question, which concerns GV renewals, not first applications: when did SEF/AIMA close the calendar for scheduling renewal appointments? Had they closed it even before they initiated the autorenewals? How long has it actually been that in-person biometrics renewal appointments have been closed to us? This is for a letter I am composing to AIMA and IRN.

Note that the appointment booking system was suddenly wide open, with huge numbers of appointments around a week agoā€¦for every other visa class EXCEPT Golden Visas, until almost predictably their IT system collapsed. My lawyer said there was zero hint from AIMA or IRN about when or if appointments for ARI visas would become available.

Any information will be appreciated.

This is the last big batch of appointments for GV renewals I know of, 5 July 2022: O ServiƧo de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras (SEF), disponibiliza 1.600 vagas para renovaƧƵes de AutorizaĆ§Ć£o de ResidĆŖncia para Atividade de Investimento... | By ServiƧo de Estrangeiros e FronteirasFacebook

The appointments were gone within the hour. I had been closely monitoring the availability of appointments by logging into the ARI portal daily for months before and after this date, and I donā€™t think any were available. Automatic renewals opened up in Jan 2023.

My card expires soon but I think that means it is automatically extended to June 30 by law. Since the online renewal is discontinued, when do I need to start collecting FBI records etc for renewal?

Or should I wait for now to see if they extend the validity to e.g. Dec?

Iā€™ve faced this issue of coordinating documents with appointments before. It is virtually impossible to time everything perfectly given varying lead times for documents and apostilles in different countries, Portugalā€™s requirements eg. 3 month validity on police checks, and the randomness of appointment scheduling. In the past, my lawyerā€™s advice has been to schedule the appointment as soon as they become available, then start collecting your documents. If your FBI record isnā€™t ready for your appointment, still go to the appointment. Your lawyer (or you) can just explain that you were unable to get the document in time but you will submit it as soon as it arrives. Main thing is getting the appointment done. Marriage certificates can have 6 month validity so that is one doc you could possibly risk getting ready ahead of time and hope you get an appointment in that period.

What if your card expires and you canā€™t secure an online appointment? What happens then? My card is expiring in 20 days, and my lawyer is absolutely annoying. Most of us are already stressed with life in general, and something as simple as this shouldnā€™t be adding to our stress.

All expired cards are valid until June 30th by decree. They may opt to extend that further with another extension.

My lawyer has indicated that an expired card does not matter (even for the purpose of calculating 5 continued years of GV residency), unless you need the residence card as a Schengen visa. If so, you are best entering/exiting Schengen in Portugal as they are more aware of the granted extension to expired permits through June. After June 30th, we will have to wait and see if they extend further or provide other remedies.

1 Like

But before you can get biometric appointments, donā€™t you need pre approval? Which also requires applying with fresh FBI records etc?

Attorney is saying no more online renewals for Golden Visa Residence Permits. Can someone confirm please? He got me an appointment but canā€™t get off of work on such short notice.

Our lawyers said no online renewals and no appointments either! How did yours get an appointment? How short notice is it really?

My attorney does the appointments. It is in early July.

Isnā€™t being your lawyer his job though? Can you provide more details about the appt?

Honestly, I find people on this blog more up to date than a lot of the professionals out there.

Standard appointment. Bring documents like FBI criminal record.

1 Like

So he secured you an appointment for renewal ? Is it through lawsuit case ? Could you please detail and when was your expiry ?

Let me get more information as I was asking whether online renewal has been discontinued. I thought online was cheaper and was hoping to go that route.

Your lawyer is either amazingly good, or very confused. :grinning: