How to prove marriage incase cannot get newly issues marriage Certificate -

Hi,

Currently I have original marriage certificate which was issued 20 years ago but because of Bureaucracy and other factors , I can not able to get newly issued certificate. is there any alternative available to prove marriage which is acceptable by authority.

Thanks
ASG

In case your marriage is registered in your home country, you could ask for an extract from the civil registry where information regarding marriage is also present, or thatโ€™s at least how civil registry extracts in Estonia work. These extracts can often be obtained from embassies.

1 Like

When it comes to PT GV as you know the standard requirement is a re-issued marriage cert within the last 6 months. If for any reason you are absolutely not able to obtain the re-issued cert, then I recommend submitting the following pack:

1. Your original (or latest re-issued) marriage cert - this needs to be apostilled in the issuing country!
  2. Affirmation statements from both yourself and your partner declaring that you are married as of now - this needs to be notarized and apostilled in the country of your current residence where the declarations are notarized.
  3. Explanation letter signed by yourself and your partner providing reasons for not obtaining a re-issued cert. This needs to be notarized by your PT lawyer or a PT notary (recognition of signature).

Hope this helps, and please do consult with your PT GV lawyer.

1 Like

Base my experiance but in another country no need to take the new one . You have just to translate in english and take to your country foreign minstery when is stamped took to portugal embassy and they will certify . Then u can use in portugal . We did this things many times for our renew GV

@alirezamgt
You mean just Appoatile of the document as Portugal Embassy does not certify anything. Portugal is part of Hague convention, as Appoatile of the document is enough.

How did you certify the document with the Portugal embassy and in which country you did do many times for GV renew?

Thanks
ASG

No my mean is this

I dont know what nationality you have . Assume you are nationality is X . And your document is not english . You have to translate your document in english . Then you have to certify in your foreign minster country X . Then when is certified . You can bring your document to portugal embassy to stamp and certified . If your country dosent have portugal embassy you have to ask which portugal embassy in other country do the releated certification for countey X.

My marriage certificate is in English (Issues in India). It is apposite and I can apostille going fwd too but the certificate issue date is in 2000 and getting a new certificate with a recently issued date is a difficult task.

So you saying that the Date of issue of the certificate does not matter but what matters is the date of Appostile?

Thanks
ASG

The date of the document is not important at all the only things inportant is certified by portugal embassy not more than 1 year ( 12 month) . Still im not sure about ur nationality what type of certify is needed from protugal embassy and what rules between ur country and portugal . Best ask from your lawyer in portugal.

The date of the document is not important at all

Portugal requires that a marriage certificate be dated within the past six months, in order to know that you were at least until recently married. While they may accommodate a deviation due to certain circumstances, those would be the exceptions.

certified by portugal embassy

If a country is a signatory of the Apostille Convention (which India is), the Portuguese consulate is almost certainly going to direct you to the host countryโ€™s agency that applies the apostille to their own documents.

In the US, for example, it would typically be a state office for a marriage certificate. In another country it might be their ministry of foreign affairs.

im not sure about ur nationality

Irrelevant. What actually matters is which country issued the marriage certificate, and why itโ€™s so difficult to obtain that Portugal would grant an exception.

Ours totally diffrent . My marriage date is 1990 . We dont take anything new . We just translate in our country - then our foreign minster certified then we bring to portugal embassy in our country to certified . After any certified by P embassy thie doc is 12 month is valuable and we bring to portugal and we pass to our lawyer for renew the residency . Simple as this and this procedures done many times.police report is just only 3 month valuable .