IMI Taxes Due on Lisboa Property Purchased 02.01.22

Hello - Does anyone have any experience paying IMI taxes for their property in Lisbon?

If so, are IMI taxes due each year or is there a period after purchase when taxes are not due?

Unfortunately, I am unable to access my account on the Portal Das Financas.gov.pt website to determine if I owe taxes for my municipality.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you!!

IMI (Imposto Municipal sobre ImĆ³veis) is billed & needs to be paid every year as long as you own the property. If you own the propertly jointly (eg with spouse) it is billed to both persons. The bill usually comes in springtime (between March to May) and if you do not reside in Portugal officially, it is sent to your tax representative by the ATP (Autoridade TributĆ”ria e Aduaneira).
Your lawyers can pay it on your behalf, or you can pay it directly.
If you look at your NIF, (which is your Registo Central de Contribuente/tax number) with the ATP, it states under ā€œRepresentanteā€ at the bottom of the first page, the entity you have stated will officially represent you to the ATP.
If you dont have direct access to the portal, ask your representative (normally your lawyers) for the passwords etc. and if they dont have access, you might want to ask them to facilitate access for you.

Thank you, Onward! I am quietly freaking out as I was at my apartment in June and didnā€™t see a bill in the mailbox.

I havenā€™t paid anything since I paid the stamp tax February, 22; so, will contact lawyers next as I cannot access the portal to see tax bill.

Meanwhile, still awaiting my husbandā€™s pre-approval and I applied/pd Dec 20, 21, his application paid January 20, 22. My lawyer telling me SEF is working through the numerous applications, yet I completed biometrics mid-April, 2023.

Wondering if I need to change attorneys or just wait it outā€¦

Anyway, thank you again for your time and response!

I would be surprised if your husbandā€™s application is approved for quite some time. Still working through the end of december

1 Like

Thanks, Garrett. However, if approved wouldnā€™t it be noted on the SEF portal?

I check every.single.day. and itā€™s still ā€œUnder Reviewā€ while my application still noted as ā€œacceptedā€, no request for DUCā€¦

Yes, as I said I donā€™t think your husbandā€™s application will be approved for quite some time - the late payment date is screwing you

Thanks for the clarification! :blush:

Agreed, I would have thought the late payment date (1/20/22) for his application filed Jan 16, 2022 would be an issue until I read notifications like this one:

ā€œGot pre-approval on 15.09 for myself and 2 kids. Wife still pending.
My application was on 28.12.2021. Kids and wife were later in Feb-March 2022 timeframe.
I still canā€™t believe this finally moved forward!ā€

I filed husband as dependent, but I guess it is moot as we have no choice but to be patient and wait.

Hmm, good point. Maybe their lawyers wrangled something? I canā€™t explain that

Possibleā€¦or just the quirks of the system. ;<)

Thanks again for your insight into a truly confusing system (for me!). :rofl:

Our lawyer who is our tax representative never received the IMI tax invoice this year. I had to log in to the portal das finanƧas and get the bill myself.

The password to the portal should have been mailed to your tax representative. You can ask them for the password.

@wkb - much appreciation!

Hello all,

Much like everyone else, Iā€™m waiting patiently having submitted my GV application in October 2022. I have a question around the IMI tax. I currently pay my lawyer a yearly fee to sort this out for me. However, I have access to the portal and i know I can pay it online. However, my lawyer says that as Iā€™m not a tax resident, that I need representation. Is this correct?

No, this is not correct.

You can happily set up a direct debit on your IMI (or your IUC if applicable) once in the Portal das Financas and forget about them.

You might find this useful:

31 May, 31 August and 30 November: Deadlines for payment of Municipal Property Tax (IMI). IMI is paid annually by owners of properties or land in Portugal, as stipulated below:

• If the IMI amount is less than 100 euros, no later than the end of May;
  • If the IMI amount is more than 100 euros and less than 500 euros, up until the of May and the end of November (2 installments);
  • If the IMI amount is more than 500 euros, up until the end of May, August and November (3 installments).

ā€¦and if youā€™re fortunate enough to own ā‚¬600k+ in property:
30 September: Deadline for payment of the IMI supplement (AIMI). AIMI should not be confused with IMI. AIMI is collected annually against the sum of the tax values (taxable value of real estate property) of specific urban properties located in Portugal that the taxpayer owns. The AIMI taxable value of real estate property corresponds to the sum of the taxable value of real estate property owned by the taxpayer, deducted by the amount of 600,000 euros when the taxpayer is an unmarried individual. Married couples and common law couples may opt for joint taxation and, if so, they shall be entitled to a deduction of EUR 1,200,000.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Are you doing it yourself? I need to know that in reality people have been doing it without a problem.

Yes :sunglasses:
I donā€™t normally recommend here something if I am not confident in doing it myself.

1 Like

@PTbound - Thank you so much!! Iā€™ve been anxious about paying this as it will be my first time and donā€™t want to miss a deadline. I truly appreciate your time and detailed info!!! :butterfly:

Missing a deadline does not seem to present a problem.
I missed my IUC deadline as I was not aware it was issued (no, the Portal does not send you notification emails on such ā€œun-importantā€ things, they only send ā€˜newslettersā€™ :laughing:) so I paid it a few months past the due date.
Did not seem to bother anyone.

1 Like

@Tommigun - Thank you for the reassurance which is quite refreshing and gives me hope yet again!! Iā€™m surprised you werenā€™t assessed penalties like those issued by the outstanding city government in Los Angeles with the exorbitant property taxes for the remarkable services! (To be read with much sarcasm!) :laughing:

Cool. Thanks. See you you wrote in Oct '23 that you needed a tax rep if you were non-EU. I assume that things have changed since then? Iā€™ve done some digging and it would appear that you need someone residing in Portugal to use their address, but that everything is now done online. Much thanks. Iā€™m kicking my lawyer to the curb next week.