Insurance for Construction work on Property in Portugal


We own a property in Portugal and have standard House Insurance. We are having fairly major works carried out, rebuilding boundary walls, repairing a ruin, landscaping etc done by locals who we pay on a weekly basis. They are not a business so do not carry their own insurance. Our Insurance Company has said that we are not covered for injury or damage to them or us or neighbours property in the course of any of these works. Has anyone else had any experience in hiring day labour and getting this covered by insurers? We have Zurich who say they don’t have such a policy so we are wondering if anyone knows who would offer this coverage?

1 Like

@debwhite1 its always best to hire a company in between the day labours and yourself to avoid any issues. I’d say a construction company licensed by IMPIC with a class level suitable to your needs can be searched here.

This is generally covered in their insurance already so it’s best you do this. I’m also happy to make some recommendations of some contractors we have used so feel free to PM me.

Thank you for that but we want to use the locals as they have looked after the property for over 25 years that we have owned it and originally worked for the Construction Company that built it so we we just wanted to figure out a way of protecting them and ourselves for the larger works that we are having them do. We have decided to take out insurance on their behalf so all sorted now.