It's official: Portugal's Golden Visa program changes on Jan 1, 2022

Hi @Vegetasama, welcome to the community! I’m not sure if you’ve already had this doubt answered but I thought I’d jump in and explain just in case you hadn’t. :face_with_monocle:

In order to qualify for the GV via the real estate route you need to have brought the qualifying value (either 280k, 350k, 400k, or 500k depending on your choice) from outside of Portugal. That amount itself cannot be funded via a home equity loan from within Portugal and, if you’ve acquired it in cash, then you are not permitted to release equity. Doing so would disqualify you from the Golden Visa.

Does that make sense?

Hey @agi, I’m not aware of any NHR rule changes. In your case, my advice would be to rent a low-cost apartment and only use it when you’re in Lisbon. If you’re thinking of doing NHR then I suspect the tax savings you’d benefit from would make such an investment worthwhile :slight_smile:

I hope that helps :sunglasses:

If we wanted to purchase a property for the golden visa, would we have to purchase it in cash (fully paid) or would we be able to take out a mortgage for the qualifying amount and have that count toward the financial requirement for the golden visa?

Hi @howdenjillian,
In order to qualify for the GV via the real estate route you need to have brought the qualifying value (either 280k, 350k, 400k, or 500k depending on your choice) in cash (via a bank transfer) from outside of the country which means you cannot use a Portuguese mortgage to cover that qualifying amount.

If you purchase with cash, then you are not permitted to release equity via a mortgage. Doing so would disqualify you from the Golden Visa.

Is that clear?

Yes. Thank you. I heard that you will still be able to purchase property on the coast after 2021 if it is vacation rentals? Is that true and if so, would it qualify with $280k if it needs renovation or $350 if it doesn’t?

As far as I know, the Touristic Apartments will still be eligible for GV in the newly-restricted areas (including parts of the coast) beyond 2021. However, it’s important to distinguish between vacation rental and touristic apartments. Vacation rentals is a term we could use for operating Airbnb in a regular residential apartment and that doesn’t qualify…but Touristic Apartments are a special category and are kind of serviced apartments / apart-hotel model. They are zoned as such when the building permit is issued. Due to the nature of Touristic Apartments, the €280k doesn’t really apply. Please be very careful with this route.

Thank you for clarifying that! Touristic apartment is a new term for me but it makes sense.