Language required for citizenship - GV

Great to hear that someone is offering a PLA course online now!

Since I donā€™t have a residence permit for Portugal myself I donā€™t qualify (:sob:), but if anyone else manages to register please let me know how it goes! Including how much do they charge, how long is the wait, etc.

Iā€™d like to mention this in the relevant Nomad Gate articles once I know all the detailsā€¦

4 Likes

Most probably i will do on jan 2024 for this classes and will update at the end . The duration is 7.5/8 weeks . Hope all goes well dor this PLA :+1:

5 Likes

Citizenship process on the base of legal residency of 5 years takes more that 2 years now. And the language certificate will be checked only on the stage 4, while it will take about 1.5 years to get to this stage. Why risking it with online course certificate which is not 100% sure to be accepted, while exam is conducted in many places and A2 is not very high level of knowledge?

If somebody is in Portugal already, than yes, there are offline courses which are 100% accepted.

I will say thereā€™s something to be said for the intense pace some courses ask for. 10 1 hour sessions donā€™t feel nearly as impactful as 2 5 hour, for example

Well memory generally decays over time. But memories reinforced multiple times last longer. So my gut feel is an intense course is good for cramming, but youā€™re more likely to forget the material later. While repeated short sessions are more likely to have staying power, if you actually want to be proficient, rather than just passing a test.

1 Like

For some ppl is very efficient , the good things u will have the certification and no need for CIPLE A2 exam . Any how i will participate on jan 2024 and takes 8 weeks . As i talked with my GV lawyers this is totall acceptable ( 150 hours - PLA online) . Any how i will update in this room about this . Cause im in last stage for submitting the document for citizenship , and language skills is one of the requirment. Stay tune will update on this after passing the courses and result in reality :wink:.

6 Likes

I think it just varies.

For me, I am waiting until I do have time to do an intensive, because the way my mind works, I need to understand how the grammar works, and to do that you really want your brain in place and chewing on it, as opposed to picking up bits piecemeal. Things like German reverse word order or irregular verbs, you kinda want to learn the whole as a set. Iā€™ve been trying memrise, and ā€¦ this whole phrase-at-a-time thing just does not work for me because Iā€™m mentally searching for the rules and they arenā€™t there. Andā€¦ there is somethingā€¦ enablingā€¦ about having enough of a working set to vaguely function. If I come out after a month head-buried-in-it able to use it in a day to day sense even vaguely, I will be more likely to than if I try to come at it a half hour a day for three years.

Iā€™m going to be in country in November, and Iā€™m debating doing an intensive, 3hr/day. Though that might conflict with my other goal of going for long walks along the avenida marginal of Sao Martinho (ending at a pastry shop) every morning so wife and I get exercise. (I also have to work, hence.) Iā€™ve debated doing a month in Lisbon, getting a room next to that one school there, and just doing 5hr/day courses and doing half-time or something for work.

But vocab? Yeah, a couple words a day added up with repetition, makes total sense. Or if you are taking more of a functional/example approach to learning as opposed to rules-based.

I do duolingo German just to sorta keep my German from decaying.I donā€™t think itā€™s making me better, though, just not getting worse. I hate duolingo because it doesnā€™t teach you anything about the rules (not that Iā€™ve found anyway), itā€™s all just isolated examples.

Really itā€™s just how you learn, what works for you.

2 Likes

Boa sorte :wink:. For me just touch and go :rofl:.

Received notification I passed the CIPLE but donā€™t have my final approval yet. :grin:

2 Likes

Bravooo . I jealous on you :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:- estou so piade brincar :wink:. The final certificate mostly 1-2 month later but online the result exist . Parabens

Well done Christopher!

1 Like

Before I do a proper course at some point in the future, I want to start learning Portuguese on my commute, so Iā€™m not starting from zero. Considering either Linguaphone or Duolingo. Does anyone have any comments on either?

Hey selina . I started with utalk- drops and also practice portugues these app is really awsome and you can boost you alot . Then i took camoes institute online ( premium packages ) A1-A2 and all these are online ( the above app and camoes institute premium packages ) which make you alot ready for orher stages .

2 Likes

Duolingo is brazilian portuguese. The accent is understandable but notably different, as are a lot of the phrasings.

I would strongly recommend pimsleur, itā€™s all audio based so very helpful, and I get a lot of compliments on my pronunciation after having used it to get started

1 Like

I took Babbel and in my openion its very good. I am able to understand and read Portuguese quite well.

1 Like

Thanks, I was reading a review of Pimsleur which sounded very good, so Iā€™ll take a look.

Hi Ali, thanks for sharing the info about the online PLA course. Did you get a confirmation to start the course in Jan2024? I emailed Edpro but still did not get any reply yetā€¦

Hi mike still they didnt open for jan 2024. As i talked with them they will start a new batch on end septemebr and you have fill up the online form . Any how i will be in portugal on nov and i will go to there office . And i will share with you who will be incharge person and direct contact . I want to go and see the place as well and make sure all info correct about the online certificate which enough for citizenship . ( and not need CIPLE A2 exam :rofl::rofl::rofl:) Will share all info here .

4 Likes

Hey Ali, I contacted Edpro but still no reply. Do you have any confirmation that they will start a course in Jan2024? Cheers

Hi Mike. I got reply for their October promotion that they were just finalizing. It starts October 5th, so they will probably be more responsive once they start October promotion.

1 Like