Maintaining your privacy here đź‘»

Hi all! I just wanted to make a quick announcement to explain the privacy features of the forum :eyes:

While most topics discussed here should be completely fine to discuss in an open forum, I understand that some topics or certain pieces of information is of a more sensitive nature.

So here’s how you can maintain your privacy while discussing freely:

• Any topic posted in the “The Private Lounge :eyes:” sub-forum is only accessible to logged-in members, so will not be indexed by search engines or anyone else
  • While using your real name and profile picture is encouraged, initials or pseudonyms are totally fine :sunglasses:, but see the next point:
  • For the occasional anonymous post or reply, you can use the built-in “Anonymous mode”. :ghost: Here’s how in three clicks:

6 Likes

This is what an anonymous post looks like :slightly_smiling_face:

Who posted it? You wouldn’t know… :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

You exit “Anonymous Mode” in the same way as you entered it:

:warning: But note that after you exit, you will no longer be able to edit your anonymous posts if enough time passes. They are separate from your main account, and if more than a week has passed by the next time you want to post anonymously a new anonymous account will be created for you. :warning:

2 Likes

While there is no way for community members or moderators to link your temporary anon-account with your real one, in case of abuse, admins (i.e. @tkrunning) could do some data forensics (running custom database queries, etc) to deduce who’s behind a particular anonymous account.

Other users have absolutely no way of knowing.

And in an effort to combat spamming and other abuse, you need to reach “trust level 2” to get access to Anonymous Mode. You reach higher trust levels by being active in the community :raised_hands:

2 Likes

If you’re a new member, and for some reason need access to anon-mode to share something sensitive, just shoot me a DM and I’ll manually enable it for you. :raised_hands:

3 Likes

nice features!
Maybe you can provide a .onion address as well? it will your site reachable to wider audience as well as provide privacy for the end user

It seems ingenious :pray:, and certainly in some certain situations :+1:, that might be of great help if you didn’t want to identify with yourself, for example, on certain sensitive issues :sunny:. At least maybe I could use that myself in some situation. :grinning:

1 Like

Hi. I just posted a reply to a question in the forum, but I didn’t realize that my full name would appear in the post. Although I don’t mind my initials to appear, I don’t feel comfortable with my full name appearing in the post. How can I delete my full name from what has already been posted? Thank you for your help on this matter.

You can change your full name in your profile under preferences to just be your name. That will also change it on posts that you already posted.

3 Likes