Moving to Portugal right after pre-approval

Just to report that the Atestado de Residencia has been obtained very easily as my local Junta de Freguesia. Thanks again to @mborcherding for the tip!

2 Likes

You are most welcome.

1 Like

I realized recently that when I made my plane reservations months ago to return to the US for a short teaching assignment, I hadnā€™t considered how long SEF would take to set a date for my biometric appointment. My flights to the US and return flight to Portugal transited through Amsterdam or Paris, and of course I have overstayed the Schengen 90 day tourist limitā€¦ Had to cancel and re-book both flights to avoid transiting a Schengen country and having to go through passport control. One of the downsides to moving to Portugal after a GV pre-approval .

1 Like

Maxine- did you get in and out ok in the end?

1 Like

I got out- Remains to be seen if I get back in. I fly on the 16th.

5 Likes

Thanks. Would be great to know how you go in a few weeks if you have to time to come back to update us. Iā€™m guessing you still donā€™t have a biometric appointment? Iā€™ll be in the same position in Januaryā€¦ incredibly stressful so good luck.

1 Like

Hi!! Did you make it ok? :blush:

Breezes right through passport control He barely looked at my passport- just stamped it and I left to get my bags

4 Likes

Oh thatā€™s the best news Iā€™ve heard for ages!! Well done you, (and get booking some flights me!)

1 Like

How long did you over stay in Portugal? Was you out of Portugal long enough to ā€œgainā€ any days back for re-entry?

1 Like

@mborcherding and All - can you please remind me what official document (despacho?) permits the entry and stay in PT with pre-approval papers only?

2 Likes

I moved to Portugal on March 15 and stayed in the States 3 weeks before returning to Portugal. As a golden visa applicant I only need to be in country 7 days a year, but I do live here perminantly. However, since I have overstayed my Schengen 90 day visa I canā€™t travel to any Schengen country until I get my residence card, and who knows how long that will take. Been waiting for my SEF appointment for more than 14 months.

3 Likes

Thanks for replying! Did you have to show any documentation , proof of SEF application etcā€¦ on re-entry into Portugal?

Looks like I have found the answer to my own question :grin:
https://dre.pt/dre/detalhe/despacho/12870-c-2021-176908200

I believe this is the latest ā€˜despachoā€™ on this subject, dated 31 Dec 2021.

2 Likes

Barely showed my passport. He stamped it in a hurry, no questions, and I was on my way. Frankly, I was shocked.

3 Likes

Tommy - Thanks for this link. Iā€™ve read it a couple of times, but Iā€™m struggling to interpret it, tbh.

So - somewhere within this content, is it saying that it is ā€œlegalā€ to start living in Portugal, after Pre-approval of GV has been confirmed?

Iā€™m unclear at exactly what stage of the GV application process an individual is able to start going to Portugal and overstaying the 90/180 rule.

I have only just been pre-approved, so am expecting many many months of waiting to even be invited for a biometrics appointmentā€¦ let alone attend one! Obtaining my card realistically isnā€™t going to happen at least, and at best, until 2024.

Iā€™d like to ascertain now though, when I can legally go to Portugal and remain beyond 90 days?

I think my lawyer has said this will not be until I have the residence card literally in my hand. But based on submissions on this thread, Iā€™m not sure if this is correct, and maybe I can challenge my lawyer on this point?

Any insights/ advice/ thoughts on this topic will really be most gratefully received!!

1 Like

I personally have not tested this ā€˜Despachoā€™ as I have not yet overstayed.
Everyone I showed it to though seemed very surprised and impressed :smile:
Including my lawyer, my customs broker, my local Financas officeā€¦

You should look for the quote which talks about ā€˜pending processes with SEFā€™ or something along those lines.

There you go, I have found it:

ā€œ considera-se ser regular a sua permanĆŖncia em territĆ³rio nacional, com processos pendentes no ServiƧo de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras (SEF)ā€

I definitely have a ā€œpending process with SEFā€, I even have the ā€˜process numberā€™ - thatā€™s the one showing on your SEF ARI portal if you look it up.

1 Like

Tommy,

Where did you find this quote? Would you please share the source (unless, of course, it is strictly confidential)?

Thank you.

This quote is from the document I shared in my post above in Novā€™22 :grin: