Thanks, Maria, really appreciate you sharing your experience ![]()
I have been following this thread, and I just did a keyword search to make sure, but I do not recall anyone discussing what (if any) proof of stay over the previous 2 years has been required for renewal via the new process. Is anyone able to offer any information on this? My apologies if this has been covered and I missed it.
This is addressed via screenshot in the thread. check again
I tried creating an account and got this error message: Unidentified citizen or without access at this stage.
Is it because my card doesn’t expire till the end of July 2026 or the email (maybe it’s GV lawyer’s) doesn’t match?
Hi,
Has anyone recently succeeded in renewing, through the portal, a main applicant’s residence card that expired before June 2025?
I had the idea that the portal is open for cards expiring on or before June 30, 2026. But I haven’t followed this too closely, so I might be wrong. Great if someone else can confirm.
Hi everyone,
I just completed the payment and now have the 10 working days to upload documents. How strict is this deadline in practice? If some documents (like criminal records) are still pending, is it acceptable to upload proof that they’ve been requested and submit them later?
I need to obtain criminal records from both the US and Canada, and timing is tight.
A couple of additional questions:
- For dependent renewal, is the marriage certificate still required even if it’s not listed in the portal?
- For “Comprovativo de Condições de Alojamento ARI,” would it be sufficient to upload the investment deed (e.g., Mercan project) along with a declaration from myself?
Thanks in advance, really appreciate any insight!
Believe @tkrunning is correct. The AIMA portal has this message at the Welcome page.
Documents for dependents require a marriage certificate for the spouse and a birth certificate for the children. Belongs to the first item in the document upload list.
I received my minor child’s NIF and understand that dependents need their own login for the AIMA renewal portal. However, when I try to create an account, I get the error: ‘Cidadão não identificado ou sem acesso nesta fase.’
Has anyone successfully created an account for a dependent and encountered this? Did you need to contact AIMA to activate or link the NIF to the renewal process? Do I have to request that they link it to the main applicant as well or that was not needed for you? I have to provide the main applicant information as well to make sure it gets connected to that as well?
Hi Neda,
I am a dependent, and I have successfully recreated my account, with the online renewal process currently under review. However, the second dependent’s account, belonging to my child under 18, has not yet been recreated and receiving the same message as your child. I went directly to the AIMA office to inquire about my child’s account, but even AIMA itself doesn’t know the cause of the problem. I think the system is currently fixing accounts for dependents under 18, which is why we can’t create accounts right now.
Has anyone figured out yet whether the renewal process does or does not require a NISS? I’ll be due for renewal in the fall and I’m trying to figure out if I should be chasing down a NISS.
They dont ask for school enormlment certificate for adult dependents anymore ? I got kids above 26.
I was told that it’s better to get it by one of NG participants. It seems to answer lots of questions.
I don’t have experience with dependents over 18, but I think you submit all the documents you previously submitted and a few additional AIMA requirements regarding proof of residence. AIMA later became very strict about proof of residence.
Of course they do. If you got dependent adult kids they must bring their school enrollment certificate to confirm they are still in full time education. They also must bring evidence of being single and financially dependent on you. I am puzzled by these random questions lately, has AIMA deleted their official requirements list from the web?
Question: does anyone know how to obtain a refreshed renewal process recibo once 60 days has elapsed?
When the new renewal portal is in the “analysis” state, it has a button for downloading this document, but the “Consulta UCFE” state isn’t visualized on the process diagram and seems to inhibit that button from showing.
Eventually I’ll ask my lawyer but if anyone already knows an easy workaround, please do tell!
I just keep showing the original receipt at the border control and so far it worked. I am not on the online portal so no way of getting a refreshed receipt that way for me.
My biometric appointment was in Oct 2025. My certificate does not have QR code nor expiry date. Are you the same?
Is it acceptable by immigration in other EU countries? Anyone has experience? Please share.
It is acceptable and accepted. The experience was shared gazillion times on this forum, both by visa-free passport holders and by non-visa-free folks too. Passport+expired card+renewal receipt= success




