Portugal Golden Visa changes

Guys, Luis may be really busy these days, but if you google “goldenvisa280” you will be served well. :100:

Dear Luis, I am also interested in understanding the details of the 280k option. would you please share the info? Thank you.

Best regards,

Yong

@friedrichstrasse @cathym @jillich @Tao @mygani @osten @andy1 @iodumboni (and anyone else) if you’d like Luis to keep you up to date on €280K options, please contact him via his profile:

(Click the Get in touch button towards the end of the page)

2 Likes

Dear Yong Zhu and fellow Nomadgate readers, can I ask you to e-mail me but with your e-mail addresses, as it is easier for me to then forward information? I am about to put out a further GV update and will include anyone who sends me their e-mail. Regards

Submission date will be used to determine eligibility and which rules will apply.

There is still some debate as to whether low density municipalities on the coast will also be affected. I have polled the opinion of several lawyers and while most have not even thought about that level of detail, the few who have cannot make a pronouncement

I am a US citizen seeking retirement in the Schengen Zone of Europe. I am unclear if Portuguese residency would provide me with a pathway to live freely in other EU countries? If so, would this only occur after obtaining Portuguese citizenship (ie 5 years)? Could this goal be accomplished just as easily via a Portuguese retirement visa instead of a Golden Visa?

Hello Thomas,
How are you and I hope you are keeping safe?
I read somewhere online that the proposed changes to the Portugal Golden Visa is being suspended or postponed due to CORVID-19. I wanted to confirm if it is true that the Portuguese government has announced the suspension.
Thanks.

Hi @Lightblue, PT residency via the golden visa will only allow you to live in PT. You can freely move around the Schengen area but not become resident in other countries (unless you fulfill the relevant country’s residence rules). However, this would be possible once you become a PT national. And yes, the 5-year residence period required to apply for the PT nationality is linked to residence in the country, not necessarily to the golden visa.
Stay well and safe,
Gui

1 Like

Hi @iodumboni, as far as I know, these changes should be implemented at the beginning of next year (early 2021). This was publicly announced by a member of staff of the Prime Minister a few weeks ago.
Stay safe!
Gui

3 Likes

A member of the Portuguese government unofficially confirmed that there should be no changes to the GV rules in 2021. The 2021 draft budget is due next month.

4 Likes

I read this this week too
I think it was one of the ministers in Portugal
so there must be truth to it

Great news! Thank you @guifig!

1 Like

Not so good news after all. According to the newspapers yesterday, the proposed change to the GV rules (according to which real estate investment in Lisbon and Porto would be excluded) is actually being implemented. It seems that the government is trying to satisfy the left-wing political parties in order to gain their support for the approval of the 2021 state budget (a draft of which is due this month). The exact changes to the GV rules re real estate in Lisbon and Porto should be known until the end of 2020.

2 Likes

Thanks GUI. Do you forsee any changes to the “investment fund” path?

| guifig Gui Pioneer
October 6 |

• | - |

Not so good news after all. According to the newspapers yesterday, the proposed change to the GV rules (according to which real estate investment in Lisbon and Porto would be excluded) is actually being implemented. It seems that the government is trying to satisfy the left-wing political parties in order to gain their support for the approval of the 2021 state budget (a draft of which is due this month). The exact changes to the GV rules re real estate in Lisbon and Porto should be known until the end of 2020.

My guess is that only direct investments in real estate in Lisbon and Porto may be affected. I haven’t heard anything on investment funds yet but I guess we’ll have to wait for the 2021 budget to be sure

1 Like

Ah ok, thanks Gui.

Am just starting the process, seems unlikely I will get my application submitted before the end of 2020, hence the concern….

Thanks,
Harish

1 Like

@guifig does the change to the RE investment regarding Porto & Lison also include Cascais?

Most certainly, yes. It should be the regions of Lisbon and Porto (and not just the city per se)

thank you for clarifying.