Portugal GV Fund Comparison?

Oh, of course. Itā€™s more having someone that Iā€™m paying and thus I know is on my side. They might still be wrong, but Iā€™m fairly sure they wonā€™t have an angle.

Does anyone have any knowledge of GV Blackbull fund by c2 capital. i have been researching and they seem to have some solid experience and good previous investments. They just started their first GV fund but they have other large Portugal private equity funds.

Thank you guys, this thread is so useful. I am very new here and had been researching the real estate vs fund options and it seems like I have a lot of reading to do before taking the leap to start the GV process.

Welcome. A lot of good information here. Probably some posters here are seeds/shills so be cautious, but still you can learn a lot.

Appreciate the heads up! Honestly, itā€™s mind boggling and itā€™s really even hard to decide which immigration law firm to hire and which investment route to take . Iā€™m trying to do my due diligence slowly taking in all the advice & suggestions I read on here .

yes, itā€™s absolutely true. So far, Fund route is still a new approach for both GV applicants and PT lawyers.

In the con for the rules change, do you mean the GV restrictions on coastal and city properties? Even if they can still invest in those projects and have the fund qualify for GV, I wonder what the demand will look like after the rule changes.

so far, no, not really, surprisingly.

no info here so far, please feel free to shareā€¦ a

1 Like

Here is some info on their registrations. They have a diversified RE approach and some seemingly good talent behind them. I had a call with them. I will see what i can pull from my notes and repost. I know that the fund just opened to subscribers in September so very new. Closing subscriptions in December 2021.

https://web3.cmvm.pt/sdi/capitalrisco/ficha_scr.cfm?num_ent=%25!4WX"M%40%20

https://web3.cmvm.pt/sdi/capitalrisco/ficha_fcr.cfm?num_fun=%24%23%24G\%23P%20%20

https://www.linkedin.com/company/c2-capital-partners/

1 Like

I mean it in a broader sense that the rules can always change. The whole GV scheme is about Portugal seeking FDI; it is up to the Portuguese people to decide on what terms they want that FDI and where they want it to go - and if the government decides that all future GV FDI should go into solar pig farms in the Alejento, well, thatā€™s going to be the option.

Do I think that this is likely? No. I donā€™t think pt.gov would change the rules of how an approved fund can invest, theyā€™d more likely change the terms for approvals for new funds. But what do I or any of the rest of us know?

My point was simply that Artur and Pedro know how to do This One Thing. Someone like Bluecrow or Iberis has more depth and if the rules change, thereā€™s likelihood they can pivot with the tide - Rock, no way. A small risk, but a risk nonethelesss, so I point at it for the sake of completeness. (I kind of do stuff like this professionallyā€¦)

1 Like

C2 Capital runs the fund. C2 Capital claims to have 430 MM euros under management.

Gotcha, I agree this FDI is a firehose the govā€™t is trying to steer. Itā€™ll over water certain areas until they can change and we can only hope to play by the current rules and keep up with any changes. My fear is the rules change after youā€™ve committed, but being in the EU, you hope they play by the rules so you can play by the rules. Thatā€™s where the lawyers and fund managers come in so everyone; the investor, the fund, the business, and Portugal all win. IDK, slightly optimistic, but if we decide to move somewhere and/or retire, youā€™d have a vested interest to see it prosper over the long term.

Can I make a suggestion for the awesome spreadsheet to add the different fund milestones: end of subscription, lock-in, and distribution? I think beyond just getting a GV, many have time horizons for their investment. It may help early in the decision making process if youā€™re locked in for 10 years vs 5-6.

@mmd feel free to request edit access and make whatever changes you find valuable!

Ooh, the pressure! Thanks, Iā€™ll request tomorrow or Tuesday and update the few I was looking at. The challenge is normalizing some of the data so the funds are comparatively consistent on the spreadsheet, but thatā€™s just my brain looking at the higher level for these funds.

Portugalā€™s a small country with a pretty low average income. So everythingā€™s relative.

I wrote something about BC farther up-chain - they arenā€™t really a fund manager, theyā€™re a wealth advisor, so itā€™s not straight apples-to-apples and their motives are IMO a little different. Iā€™d say theyā€™re plenty legit, theyā€™re just what they are. If you want a large diversified fund, then no they arenā€™t that, but they arenā€™t claiming to be either. (And thereā€™s certainly no shortage of $50-100mm cap mgmt firms in the US either.) None of the players Iā€™ve seen have been exactly huge - and Lince IMO doesnā€™t really count since they appear to be more of an administrator underneath the funds than an asset manager in its own right, or thatā€™s how Iā€™m seeing it structured.

1 Like

FYI: There were way more than 7 applicants in 2019 via the investment fund route. 7 approvals sounds much more like it. Approvals can take up to a year.

But you are right, the investment fund route is really picking up steam.

I try to do checks on as many posters as possible, particularly those posting recommendations one way or the other, so I believe most potential shills are weeded out pretty fast. Yet, if you spot any suspicious comments or users, please report to me and Iā€™ll investigate.

3 Likes

Hello all! Great thread and thanks everyone for sharing their valuable info.

What do you guys think of the SIF Investment Fund? Managed by Lince Capital, no leverage, seems to be a decent option. Any red flags?

Thanks!

Can you share contact information of your lawyer?