Portugal GV Fund Comparison?

Portugalā€™s intention here is capital injection to Portuguese companies. So when A person buys B personā€™s shares of a company, this does not benefit the company. Just shares change hands. But VC funds does not buy shares from other shareholders. Their capital adds to the capital of the company.

For example, a company has a 5 million Euros value and if VC fund invests 5 million, it becomes %50 shareholder of the company. So the company worths 10 million now with 5 million cash. And it makes sense.

From investorā€™s perspective they may be quite similar. But from investeeā€™s perspective, they are extremely different things.

IMHO :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is a discussion in another thread about this, namely that a lot of these funds essentially bent the law out of shape and created REITs using the VC structure and SPVs in order to get the tax benefits as well as access to GV capital; while maybe this met the letter of the law, it certainly didnā€™t meet the spirit of it, and that the governmentā€™s fairly unhappy about it but doesnā€™t know what to do about it. Thereā€™s a few ways of looking at the problem. Iā€™m not sure where the thread is exactly though, but the discussion was fairly recent.

I get your point, but the thing is, there canā€™t really be some official list of any of these things.

• Any lawyer could do your SEF application. Or you could do it yourself if you wanted to; you donā€™t NEED a lawyer any more than you need one for a D7. So who goes in the official directory? The Portuguese lawyerā€™s association might put together a list, maybe, but of course thatā€™s no statement about how good any of them are.
  • Whatā€™s a GV qualifying fund? See above, all sorts of things could qualify; itā€™s not limited to ā€œfunds that say they areā€. There could be a list of those, if someone wanted to make one like @tkrunning is doing, but itā€™s all just individual effort hereā€¦ the government doesnā€™t care.
  • Whatā€™s a cultural investment? Could be all sorts of things. Itā€™s not the governmentā€™s problem to figure out what all out there could be valid.

The private sector is filling this gap by offering firms such as GCS and Magwind - who expect to be paid for their servicesā€¦

Hi Jonny,
Thanks for sharing! Is there a contact at BPI who could confirm your information on the BPI Portugal FIAA fund, and serve as a lead contact point regarding new investments?

In case you may not want to post publicly, my Twitter @paradisepursuer is open for DMs ā€“ would really appreciate it!

I asked my lawyer about the BPI fundā€¦ his response was he was aware of it but had not heard of anyone using it for a GV. Not that he would know what everyone does, but anecdotally he claimed to have done 6-7 with the other fund. So Iā€™d be very curious if it does pan out, because Iā€™m still a couple months away from making my commitment.

@tkrunning I might suggest that this post should be its own thread, since itā€™s not really about comparing funds to one another. Itā€™s not a bad potential thread, just itā€™s a whole bundle of (perfectly valid) questions many of which have nothing to do with looking at data around specific funds and worthy of its own thread.

3 Likes

Yeah that would be a great new thread, happy to respond

1 Like

Good idea @jb4422 & @madpoet. Iā€™ve reposted it here

So, hereā€™s tidbit of the day for those looking at funds. Feed this into your search engine:

site:pitchbook.com manager-name

Not all managers are there. You have to be big enough to matter. However pitchbook is like crunchbase, they cover the PE/VC space, and itā€™s a way funds and folks-needing-capital get together. Itā€™s just a way to get a third-party view of whether a fund manager is real and what their history really is or if theyā€™re just making shit up. pitchbook itself isnā€™t freeware but you can get some data out of it this way.

5 Likes

@jb4422 yes, I had heard the same thing. You can split funds but anything that confuses the SEF people slows it all way down. So we were advised not to make it more complicated that it need be.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure I understand why that would matter. The law specifically identifies two different types of funds: ā€œinvestment fundsā€ (ā€œfundos de investimentoā€) and ā€œventure capital fundsā€ (ā€œfundos de capitais de riscoā€), so it seems pretty clear ā€œinvestment fundsā€ would qualify.

The ā€œhookā€ for the money staying in PT is the ā€œ60% of the value of the investments be made in commercial companies based in the national territoryā€ requirement.

All that said, I wouldnā€™t over think this aspect of it. Really all that matters is what SEF will accept and a number of people have reported success using the funds being offered/discussed here so the ā€œSEF acceptance riskā€ is minimal. And even if SEF were to reject the investment, you could just sell it and pick a different fund.

Hi folks, I would love to hear your thoughts on Explorer IV. I met with them recently and they meet some of my criterion

1. Non real estate play
  2. The fund is for GV and non GV investors alike with different distribution paradigms because GV investors need to stay above the 350k capital for 5 years
  3. Skin in the game. The GPā€™s invest quite a decent sum of money into the fund
  4. The seem to have some sort of a track record although their last fund was raised quite a long time ago.

I havenā€™t talked to them. I do notice they donā€™t show up in pitchbook or crunchbase, but as you say they havenā€™t really been in the market so much as of late, theyā€™ve been running Explorer III, so maybe that isnā€™t relevant. I am a little concerned that one of the founding partners just died, which though it isnā€™t supposed to matter it might. They feel a little niche-y to me versus PV or Oxy or C2. Maybe thatā€™s good (focus) maybe thatā€™s bad (no breadth).

With PE, itā€™s an interesting question of how hands-on they are - are they actively involved in businesses to improve them, or are they more passive investors? If the former, do they really have the skillset in-house to bring value to their purchases? If the latter, how are they extracting value? And if you are a broad-based fund, how much in-house skill can you bring to a diverse set of businesses? Two examples:

C2/MedCap - you have two experienced M&A types from healthcare, focusing on 7 purchases over several years. But the fund does one thing - healthcare. Hope healthcare is a good bet.
PV - 60-some people, plus the folks at Kigeni, lots of experience across a lot of sectors - but can they do a good job across all those sectors? Or does network effect apply? I think you tend to lose something as you lose focusā€¦ but itā€™s less of a focused bet too.

Iā€™m not pretending to answer that, Iā€™m just pointing at it as something you consider in looking at PE managers.

Interesting ā€¦ thanks Iā€™ve just started on talking to the real PE players and will make sure I give these due consideration. I chatted with Oxy as well and I wasnā€™t as impressed for multiple reasons. I have a PitchBook subscription and was able to find Explorer in there ( maybe its not popping up on a basic search ). I was surprised to hear that one of the partners passed away ā€¦ apparently a founding partner also left the firm unceremoniously a few years ago.

Has anyone looked into the Sustainable Innovation Fund from Grosvenor?

Hi Kevin,

I would definitely choose those ā€œpublicly traded investment fundsā€ instead of VC funds. Because they are safe, have a long history and very very easy to sell.

Butā€¦ When someone subscribe those funds, they buy shares from other shareholders (you, me or Mr. GonƧalves) who sell their shares on the stock market. So, the money goes to the individual who sells shares, not to the company. That definitely does not capitalize any company. When you buy Apple shares, do you think your money capitalizes Apple? It is better than nothing for Portugal but I would consider it ā€œcapital transferā€. On the other hand, VC funds really inject capital to the companies.

I think ā€œinvestment fundā€ term is a much broader term and there may be funds in ā€œcapitalizing natureā€. Even those VC funds can be considered a kind of ā€œinvestment fundā€.

And yes of course you can sell your units if application is rejected but as you know, rules are changing at 1st January and you may lose the chance for 350K option.

In a technical and literal sense you are correct that buying listed shares on the stock market does not capitalize a company (the company is capitalized when it does the IPO). However, I think this is splitting hairs. If all of the investors sell their shares and no one buys them, the price will plunge and the company has no market for its securities. Again, this doesnā€™t affect the capitalization of the company but it does undermine liquidity and the ability of the company to continue to raise capital in the future.

I would think the PT government would WANT to encourage investment in listed companies as it helps the entire economy and country, even if it may not literally meet the exact definition of the law. This is the same argument others have made for real estate VC funds. The fund investments are less than 10% of all GV applications. In the large picture it is not a big deal. Why would the government want to kill the goose that lays the golden egg, so to speak when it will discourage investment in the country at a time when it is desperately needed to bounce the economy back.

From the data, you can see that there are only about 10 GVs a month using the fund route (less than 10%). It would be easy for the government to clarify and update the rules for new applications effective 1/1/2022 if this is really a problem. But I donā€™t really see any issue here.

Hi Joe, was the process for obtaining the certification of investment from the IMGA Acoes fund straightforward? It seems that the equity funds provide that necessary paperwork for the GV application, so I was wondering how that went for a publicly-traded fund purchase. Many thanks for the information!

@jccarraway Yes. Very easy. Bison Bank wrote the letter to my lawyers the day after the fund was purchased. It detailed transfer amounts, number of shares, passport number, etc. Also stated that it was for the GV and the amount that it satisfied.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Golden Visa Funds in Portugal - The BIG Questions