Preprovad D7visa Portugal circulation

Hi
please i need to know where a preprovad of my D7 visa Portugal can have a free circulation in Europe. Thanks

1 Like

Hello Louise - I don’t understand the question. Are you able to re-word it? Thanks.

okay thank you I would like to know which country of the European Union I can visit with the first four months of my D7visa before making an appointment to file the files at the SEF for the residence card and also I would like to know if I can stay in Portugal beyond these four months of validity of my visa while waiting for my appointment at the SEF and my card

Hi again. I don’t know the D7 rules as I haven’t applied for D7 but for a golden visa. However, I can tell you that you can travel easily to Ireland, Bulgaria and Romania as they are not in Schengen. The visa is a Schengen visa, rather than an EU visa. Note that four non-EU countries are also in Schengen, including Norway and Switzerland. Croatia joins Schengen on 1 January 2023. I managed to get to Croatia this year before it joined, thank goodness. Otherwise I would have been over my 90-day limit within a 180-day period. It’s also worth noting that there are other lovely European countries that can be visited, including Montenegro and Bosnia. I visited both this year.

Ok thanks you for your answer

You can travel in Schengen if you have a passport that allows visa-free Schengen travel, will need a Schengen visa if not. The D7 is only valid in Portugal.

You only have two entries allowed on the D7 visa, and the first time you come in to Portugal counts as one. Travel to other countries is highly discouraged until you get your actual residence permit, then you can go as often as you like.

You can stay until you attend your SEF appointment, the D7 validity s extended automatically.

3 Likes

Correct. The D7 Visa, being a residence visa for Portugal, only allows you to travel to Portugal - not allowing, therefore, entry into other countries of the Schengen area.
So, only after you go to the SEF in Portugal and receive your Residence Card, then you can travel within the Schengen area «freely», @louisepaulinemoine :slightly_smiling_face:

There’s another important restriction on the D7 and travel before you receive your permit:

You are only allowed 2 entrances to Portugal under the D7, and one has to be used by the time specified on the visa. Functionally, this means you can only leave the country once before receiving your permit.

If you are U.S. passport holder, you can get automatic tourist visas for Schengen countries for up to 90 days in a 180 period. If you travel outside of Portugal more than once after activating your initial D7 agreement, you’ll be violating your visa. That said, if you’re driving between Schengen countries you will like not go through passport control. But I’ve been spot checked before (Denmark to Sweden). If you fly, even if you don’t go through passport control, there will be easily accessible records showing you left the country. I believe there can be exceptions for hardship and work travel but that’s a question for an attorney.

SEF will automatically schedule your appt when you get your D7 visa (link right on the visa), and if they make it impossible to make the appointment in the specified window, they will likely allow you to stay. During covid, when people had to overstay the initial visa because they couldn’t get SEF appointments in time, the Portuguese government was automatically extending the visas.

In a nutshell, if you want to go the D7 route, Just plan on being in Portugal for most of the first 4-5 months. It’s not exactly a hardship. :wink: