SEF documentation for residency extensions counting towards 5-year citizenship timeline

My lawyers also provided me a list of necessary documents when applying for citizenship.
Proof of legal residency of Portugal is one of them and they’ve told me they would ask for this document on my behalf.

Normally validity of the residency cards equaling 5 years would be used to demonstrate the 5 year validity period. Because of the delays in renewals during and after Covid extensions provided for cards can also be used to demonstrate the 5 year residency period. There is one technical watch-out; the final card has to be issued and you’ll have to spend the consequent two weeks for that cards before you can actually apply.

The extensions help to fill in the what would normally appear as gaps between the residency cards and you will not have to wait for the end date of your last card to apply for citizenship.

However in order to make residency extensions count for the 5 year citizenship, you would need the Certidão de Contagem do Tempo. My lawyers stated that

• it takes two-four weeks to get the document
  • they advise to apply for the document after 5 years; 5 years after the initial issue date of the first card.

Hope it helps…

4 Likes