Article 116

Article 116 – Residence Permit for holders of long-term residence status in another EU Member State – The Official Website of Portuguese Immigration (sef.pt)

For those non-EU citizens that have an EU long term residence card in another EU country, it appears that SEF is discussing a method of exchanging the card for a Portuguese equivalent.

Does anyone have any information, guidance or experience of this process please?

Would it apply to retirees?

Thank you.

https://imigrante.sef.pt/en/solicitar/residir/art116/

2 Likes

I have seen this mentioned at the EU level
The proposal also aims to strengthen the rights of long-term residents and their family members. This includes the right to move and work in other Member States
So good to see its being considered at a practical implementation level by SEF

1 Like

mmm excluding (most?) GV holders by requiring time-in-country:

a person who has lived legally in an EU country for an uninterrupted period of five years, can obtain the status of long-term resident.

next, i predict your PT passport will only allow freedom of movement if you have spent five consecutive years in the country of issuance.

With the ongoing immigration issues in the EU, I am not sure I would count on precedent…

Well sure the EU could dissolve. Just saying that as long as the EU and its freedom of movement exists, non-discrimination of EU citizens is a pretty core part of that.