Can a US Green card holders acquire another permanent residency elsewhere?

Can a US green card holder acquire another permanent residency or can it be broadly interpreted as a desire to abandon the green card?

1 Like

@stpqls - Did you get an answer?

Most of the literature I read is heavily focused on being present in the US a majority of the year and basically never away more than half a year, that would seem to me that for example the Portuguese Golden Visa (which is a temporary visa the first 5 years) is not an issue, and whilst most would go immediately to Citizenship from temporary Golden Visas, even a Permanent Residency “seems” fine according to the literature which again focuses on both “spend most of the year in US and not a year abroad” as well as “intention”. I think getting permanent residency of another country in itself isn’t intention, BUT getting permanent residency and buying a home and actually living there 5+ months/year still isn’t showing intention to live there (assume 7 months in US). If you did something that made it seem you would live there in future, e.g. declare “I’m moving to Portugal permanently” maybe that would be enough.

Example doc:

Thanks. Most people have stated the same. I tried to find a lawyer to get a legal opinion from USCIS. I failed to get a lawyer who can help me with that.